Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Visitors

I love getting visitors. Lately I've had a couple of interesting visits.
A few weeks ago the Jehovah's Witnesses visited my house. It was a VERY cold morning, so I kindly let them inside to warm up a bit. These two ladies were very nice. They shared a message with me about being kinder to our loved ones. Then they left me one of their pamphlets with an article about how to keep your relationships free from arguing and stuff like that. (Okay, PLEASE don't make fun of my speech right now....I've got MAJOR preggo brain, and I just don't think well anymore!)
We had a very nice conversation, and I told them straight out that the reason I invited them inside was because I hope people will do the same thing when MY missionaries come to their home. (Yes, TACKY, TACKY, Dawnyel!)
The asked me if I was LDS, and I said I was. Then they quickly (maybe TOO quickly) packed things up and left my house. They promised they'd come back and talk with me again, but I'm not holding my breath. (Really, I've had the Jehovah's Witnesses come to my house MANY a time and they always PROMISE to come back, but they NEVER do! I must be lucky or something....)
After they left, I tried to read their article, but I didn't like the feeling of it. It seemed very argumentative in itself! :P So I put it away, and noticed that in their rush to leave they left a pencil. Yay....I scored a pencil out of the deal! ;)
That visit was nice, but they weren't the only visitors I have had lately!
Last week, almost one week from the day that the Jehovah's Witnesses visited me, I got a knock from some MORE messengers. This time it was MY missionaries.
Again, the day was cold and I invited the Elders in. Unfortunately, my husband was snoozing upstairs, and I was a lonely lady on the main floor, so they talked with me at the door.
They immediately noticed that I had a picture of Christ hanging by the door and asked me if I was a member. I told them I was, and they asked me if I knew my neighbors.
Sadly, I fear my neighborhood. My neighbors AREN'T the best people, but they can be nice. I just haven't ventured too far past my little apartment. I told them that I knew a FEW people, but not many. Then they asked me if I knew of ANYONE who might need to hear their message. Again, I was a bit ashamed and told them that whenever we have those lessons in church about being a member missionary, and praying to find those seeking truth, I never can think of a name.
Then one of the Elders, who I KNOW is barely 20 years old, stood before me and promised me that if I prayed and took the time to make a list, I would find someone who needs the missionaries. It was one of those times when I felt the Spirit confirming the words of a YOUNG man. I felt the power of his words, and I've decided to take his challenge. They joked with me a little about even if it was someone in Wyoming, they have connections.
The visit was short. Much shorter than the visit I had with the women from the week before, but it was SO much more powerful. I have no other words to describe it.
Visitors are fun. But there can be a great difference in the message they bring!

6 comments:

Mattsmom said...

Wow...I think we must have a "we are devoted members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" sign on our door. Because even though our neighbors get "messengers" we never do.
You are so awesome for letting them in. Winter can't be a fun time in the lives of missionaries.

Anne/kq said...

Wow, what a great experience!

I usually hand pass-along cards to the JWs (and politely accept the Watchtower or whatever.)

They never do come back.

Anonymous said...

that is so true!! Oh and I'm not the greatest member missionary either......just scares me ya know?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dawnyel said...

I was thinking if the JW's ever come back, I'd have a little Choose the Right pencil waiting to replace the one they left! ;)

Sketchy said...

We used to get repeat JW-ers, I think because I tried to be nice, listen to their message and let it go at that. But once they came when my dh was home and he listened and actually responded to their message. Apparently they weren't used to people asking questions back that they weren't ready to answer and one of them got really huffy and actually yelled at my husband. I think it was about the priesthood as a subject matter. Anyway that was the last time we saw that set. Since we moved though, there aren't any JV's out proselyting here that we've met anyway.

So have you had any spiritual promptings? I always used to be jealous of the religious conversations my husband would have and then I realized I was steering conversations away from religious matters. Since I've stopped doing that I've had more conversations with people. And mostly they still like me afterwards. lol