Monday, December 03, 2007

Baby Shower

Saturday was ONE crazy day. It actually started the night before the shower. Steve's brother (hereafter known as "bil") called to tell us that he and his girlfriend (hereafter known as "C") were in the hospital. Apparently, she'd done a Non-Stress-Test and the doctor, trying to be helpful, came in before the test started and told them all of the "worst-case-scenarios." Uh, there's a time and a place for THOSE kinds of worries, right before a machine measures your blood pressure is NOT one of those times. During the course of the NST, C's blood pressure SOARED to 162/101!! They immediately admitted her and scared both her and bil to DEATH!! The doctor was talking to them about inductions and all of the scary parts of having a baby. Thankfully, the next day they decided that she could go home for the shower, IF she relaxed.
That morning we drove to see what we could do to help. But before we left, we packed our van with as much stuff as we could stick inside (cooler, baby swing, Christmas tree, Christmas gifts, baby shower gift, game props...)

After arriving at bil's and C's apartment, we brought up the Christmas tree we had promised them. They were um....indisposed. Bil came to the front door wearing JUST a towel. (I really wanted to cover my eyes, but he left quickly enough, I didn't see much....except for the fact that this image WON'T leave my MIND!! BLAST IT ALL!!!) So Cam, Steve and I sat in their living room doing NOTHING for about a half hour.

Finally they came out of their bathroom, and I asked them where they had planned on sticking the tree. We decided on a place, and since I was BORED out of my mind, I put up their tree. Half-way through, bil decided it was time to go to the store and get the food for the shower.

We spent FOREVER at the local Walmart!! HONESTLY, I was getting sore and very whiny. So I took Cam (who was ALSO whiny) to the van, after paying for our small purchases. I thought that bil would pay for THEIR purchases and be out very quickly. Not so....

After 10 minutes they came out, more frustrated and annoyed. Mostly they were annoyed with C's sisters. (Who showed up at Wally's World, and immediately began bickering and fighting, NOT at ALL helping C's situation!) We packed everything up and went back to the apartment where we set off to set up the complex's club house for the party. The men went and rearranged the couches and tables, while I was STUCK in bil's apartment putting together a meat/cheese tray and a veggie tray. I did this willingly, really, I did. But bil came back FURIOUS. C's sisters brought their bickering attitude WITH them to the party, and were driving C crazy!! He had told them that the LAST thing that C needed was to be put back into the hospital, and that they should behave themselves. Thankfully, THAT chat stopped them, but he was NOT happy, and he brought his complaints to the family's resident venting board---ME!

It was about 20 minutes until the party started and Steve and bil had to pick up their parents. I shooed them off, and told them to hurry, because we were going to start soon, and they needed to be there. Almost an hour later, they showed up. (After I had hauled stuff to the club house and endured C's sister's foul language!! I also had to put up with the question, "Where's the host?" UGH!) As I mentioned earlier, bil had put me in charge of games. I would have gladly started the games before bil and Steve got there, but I, STUPIDLY, left the game stuff in our van, which was being used to haul ils to the party!! So a half-hour late, we started, and I think it turned out very well. Bil and C ended up with some really cute clothes, and TONS of newborn diapers (which I suggested that they return for bigger sizes....) and lots of memories. (I won't say fun, because I'm not so sure they HAD fun with all the stress...)

The one game that went over well was a bottle game where the people playing had to race each other in drinking a full baby bottle's worth of juice. My live-in vacuum, Steve, won!! And he even managed to rip a hole in the nipple. (I never said they couldn't....) We also played poopy-diapers (melted candy bars inside of diapers) and baby gift bingo.
I can happily say, I will TRY not to do this again, very soon!! I'm still worn out!! (Either that, or my new meds are making me that way....who knows....)

Oh, and just for your information, C went back to the hospital that night for another NST, and all was well!! (At least, until the doctor walked in, while the machine was measuring her bp....it soared again, but this doctor didn't count it. Thank goodness! Their baby is still in his mother's womb...where he BELONGS at 35 weeks!)

And if you REALLY wanna see my poky belly, here's a picture to satisfy you!! ;)

3 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

UGH! What a mess! I bet you're sure glad that's over with. I'm glad it turned out well, even with the, ahem, not-so-lovely sisters.

I love that picture of you. Is that a maternity top you'e wearing? You're starting to LOOK pregant! Yipee!

Dawnyel said...

No maternity top....sadly, I've YET to find one in my freakishly-huge size!! (but I did get some maternity pants, if only I could keep them up around my belly!!)

Anne/kq said...

That silly silly doctor!

BabyCenter has a whole section on "Plus Size and Pregnant", and they have some excellent shopping tips, so I hear. So if you're looking for maternity clothes, that might be a good place to start.

Glad the party went well in the end, sorry about the stress and rough start.