Sunday, October 21, 2007

Scouting For Food....

Saturday was the day that little cub scouts all over the country went door to door dropping off sacks for people to fill with food for the needy.
The weather her has been pretty lousy all week long, and the weather wasn't predicted to be any better early Saturday morning. The Primary President called me on Thursday saying that she thought it would be better for our little scouts if we started depositing the bags early....on Thursday or Friday. Well, that really didn't work for me because I was super busy, and babysitting when I wasn't busy. So I had to stick with the original plan of Saturday morning.
So I got up early, took Steve to his pick-up place (he had play practice), and took Cameron with me to wait for scouts to show up at the church.
The first thing that was odd was that there was a hearse and little yellow signs saying that there was a FUNERAL! Well, there would be NO waiting in the church for us. So I sat parked on the road hoping my van would warm up. (Just the record, it never did...)
After a while one boy showed up. His mom asked if I needed help driving the boys around, and I told her I would be fine. She called another mom, and told me that they had thought Scouting for Food had been cancelled because they had gotten their bags earlier. So she went to pick him up, while I waited for any other boys to show up. Unfortunately, no others did.
Once the two boys got back, I loaded them up (they were both wearing roller-blades) and we were off. The rain was drizzling constantly, and the wind was howling, but the boys were in high spirits. I rolled down my window, turned on my hazard lights, and handed the boys bags as they delivered them. Cameron INSTANTLY began complaining. (I had him in the back seat in his booster, playing his Nintendo DS.) He told me to roll up the windows...but I told him that I couldn't. After a few houses, the boys got tired and red in the cheeks. One boy didn't have gloves, so when we passed my house, I stopped and grabbed some gloves for him to wear. While we were there, I also grabbed a warm blankie for Cam to throw over himself. Then we were off again.
The area we were assigned has TONS of apartments, and if there are houses, there are LOTS of steps. The boys were VERY careful, but in roller-blades it was difficult. Then the snow began to fall. It wasn't heavy, but it was bitterly cold!
Eventually, they began asking me, "Are we done yet?!" I told them that once we ran out of bags we could be finished.
We ended up running out of bags before we ran out of houses....which was fine, because we had been out in the cold for an hour and a half. They were troopers!!
When I got home, I went DIRECTLY to my bed, and tried to warm up. But NOTHING was working. I was shivering and miserable!! Steve got home from practice, and came to join me, but he wouldn't snuggle to help me warm up....he said I'd make him cold!! Eventually I piled 2 more heavy quilts on top, and was able to warm up.
All in all, I'd have to say, those people who get the food should appreciate the frostbite that was incurred in their behalf!! Because I'm STILL cold! ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW You are a trooper! Magnify your calling ... check!
Those boys must be great to stick with it!

I was thinking your experience would be funny to read...but I am left shivering just reading!

You ROCK!

Elena said...

Not fun. Last year they had all the activity day girls help too. I wonder why they didn't do that again? You're good to get it done by yourself.

CareBearMommy said...

It sounds like those two boys were troopers... and with roller blades! I hate trying to get warm (and not being able to) after being out in the cold for so long. At least you were doing it for a good cause.

Dawnyel said...

I guess I should say that the other scouts and activity day girls HAD gone out earlier, I just couldn't do it....so I hoped that SOME boys would show up!! Thankfully, they did! :)

Elena said...

Oh boy...no updates for a while. Hope everything is okay. I hear that we are visitng you tomorrow. See you then.