Monday, June 04, 2007

The Poison Control Center WILL Laugh at You if....

....you call and tell them that your child just ate deodorant.
I was reminded of this when I was reading the label on the back of a cleaning product the other day.
A few years ago Cameron was carrying around a little container of men's deodorant and making weird faces. I looked at the deodorant and noticed little teeth marks in it. I FREAKED out!! I immediately called Poison Control. I told the woman on the line what had happened and she said, "And...."
"And what?? That's it!"
At this point I could hear her holding back her laughter. She then told me that he will have a dry mouth for a while, and to make sure to push the liquids, maybe giving him some Kool Aid.
Yeah, nice people there....but couldn't they wait to laugh until I was off the phone!? Sheesh!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dry mouth and nice breath I would gather. I am glad it wasn't serious. We still haven't had to call poison control....knock on wood.

CareBearMommy said...

That IS funny. But I'm not gonna laugh, cuz I had to call Poison Control when Tyler ingested some fish tank chemical at our last apartment. That's scary stuff, and we moms NEVER know what'll happen when our kids eat stuff they shouldn't. Better to err on the side of caution!

Suzanne said...

My older son got into so much stuff as a kid that I should have put poison control on my speed dial: liquid foundation, ink pad, Desitin, etc... I'm sure they laughed at me too! It's good that you made sure with the deodorant, even if someone else was amused by it!

Gina said...

You are a good mom. You did the right thing, but I still laughed at this post... that operator was wrong to be laughing, but her response was funny. I mean, I am sure they get calls that are lesser of a deal and they should be used to not laughing. I didn't laugh every time an old lady farted when I was a CNA!

Anonymous said...

I admit to laughing under my breath...most of us have been there. A few months ago Matthew ate Balmex. The container advised me to call poison control...I did...they were probably amused...but told me to give him a ton of water and keep an eye on him (since I had no idea how much he had eaten).
Craigs parents had the poison control number memorized...and his Dad swears they knew him by name he called them so much!
Kids eat stuff they shouldn't...it is part of life!

One Scrappy Gal said...

We were JUST talking about deodarant!! This is good to know for the future... the boy eats EVERYTHING.

Elena said...

BTW, if your baby sucks on an ant trap, there isn't enough poison in it to hurt them. Just ants....We've had to call too.

Anne/kq said...

I remember when my daughter ate toothpaste. The guy at the PCC was very sweet, though.