Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Scout Wednesday

I was talking with one of my friends last night, and she mentioned how much she enjoys laughing at my scout days!! So just for you! :)
Yes, it was scouts again. And I was in charge....again! BUT, this time, I had a MUCH better time! I think it's because I went into it with DIFFERENT attitude. I had talked with the Primary President today and told her my frustrations and concerns. She told me that if my concern was "controlling" the boys, forget it!! She had tried once, and it didn't work. She even said that this other lady, the BEST in our stake, couldn't control them. I felt better!!
But with everything I had going on today, I think I fared well! (Steve had a meeting at work early this morning, we had a meeting with our financial lady, picking up Cameron from school....) Then scout time came. I packed up both Cameron and Baby J early, and set off for the church. I planned a few activities, but constantly MOVING activities.
The first thing we did, was review the rules. They did well there, but then they decided that they needed drinks and about 4 of them disappeared!! I threatened them saying that if they didn't obey the rules, they couldn't have their "special" treat. They asked if it was edible, and I told them it was, they INSTANTLY came back and sat still! MIRACLE OF MIRACLES!!
After reviewing the rules, I sent them off to the gym. I had an obstacle course set up there and made them do a relay race where they had to wear an apron and two oven mitts, weave their way around chairs and under a chalkboard, and unwrap some smarties. IT WAS HARD!! (I laughed at them trying SO hard to open their candy! Not very nice, am I?) Once they finished, I told them I had ANOTHER game for them.
I had set up a treasure hunt. I made clues and hid things ALL over the building. I read them the first clue, and they were OFF! At each spot, I made them do something before they could go on. Like I made them do sit-ups, push-ups, a game, whatever I could think of. At the end, they had gathered up all the things they needed to decorate some sugar cookies. THEY LOVED IT! (And apparently me too!) We asked the twins, who are 11, if they wanted to move up to the 11 Year Old Scouts (yes, that's what they're REALLY called...someone was feeling SUPER creative when they came up with THAT name!) The one that was there, the other had a doctor appointment, said if we did cool activities like THIS, he'd rather stay where he was! *DOH!* Defeating my own purpose!! Shooting myself in the foot!! (Not what I had wanted!)
Well, the boys made a mess, then I asked them to help me clean, and second miracle...they DID!! Willingly, even!!
Then I cleaned up and went home, hoping to find my cousin waiting for her son, but she wasn't there. I started to worry. Steve and I had a few meetings that we needed to get to, but while still stuck with Baby J, we couldn't go to them. So I sent Steve to drop Cameron off at my mom's house (the one meeting was an adult only meeting...bore little kids to DEATH!) while I waited at home for Caytee. About 5:30, she called. That was when we were supposed to go to our first meeting! The lady called, and we rescheduled, then we hurried off to the OTHER meeting. That meeting was so GOOD! So much good information! And as an added bonus, we met up with some of our good friends who moved from the Ward. LOVE it when THAT happens!
Then we had to hurry out of there, because Steve has to be to work for a graveyard shift tonight, so we picked up Cameron, and went STRAIGHT home.
Today was good, but exhausting.



Oh, and as a quick side note: I FINALLY got my stinkin' contacts!! The first day I had them on I commented to a friend that my eyebrows were FREAKIN' huge!! She asked me if I was channeling my inner muppet...I think I am.
ME=Bert from Sesame Street!




Did you ever notice that Ernie doesn't HAVE eyebrows?? Guess Bert got enough for BOTH of them! :)

5 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

Whoa. Sounds like you had a busy day. I bet you're glad to be home, relaxing at the computer now. And YAY for you and Scouts! Maybe your muppet eyebrows gave you good luck! Hope next week goes as well!

Mel said...

Wow, look at what a fun scout leader you are! I might have to steal some of your ideas:)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like wearing the scouts out is the key! Good job!

Have you ever seen Elmo in Grouchland? There's a line in there that just kills me. "Those aren't eyebrows; that's my aunt and uncle." Hilarious.

Mama D said...

You are super creative. I'm not sure I'd ever have then energy to volunteer for scouts.

I don't think you look like Bert. BUT... if you don't like them, just go get 'em waxed. It's relatively painless and well worth it when it's over!

Millie said...

I still haven't got up the courage to put a picture of my face online. It's silly. I go around with this face all the time, it's not like I'm ashamed of it. But put it on my blog? NEVER. :) I applaud you.

I also admire you for sticking with Scouts and actually daring to enjoy it!