Thursday, February 15, 2007

What WAS I Thinking?

When I said that I'd be an assistant den leader? Sunday callings are WAY different from middle of the week callings!! WAY different!
For the past 2 weeks I've been going to scouts, hoping to pick up on what exactly I'm supposed to be doing. I've done my online training thingies, and filled out a background check form (uh...yeah!) and now I'm coming home from scouts thinking, "What is going on?"
Last week was my first week, so I just chalked everything up to me being new, and just not knowing exactly what to do. (Even the den leader I'm supposed to be working with doesn't really know what to do with me!) So I just cut papers, and tried to keep Cameron (yeah, had to take him with me...) occupied and the boys busy. That was insane!
Then this week, I prepared myself a little bit. See, we've been having the boys make decorations for next week's Blue and Gold Banquet. The monthly theme is something tropical (I would look it up, but I'm too stinkin' lazy!) ANYWAY, they've been making dried bean mosaics of fish and other undersea critters, and then painting their own surf boards. Did someone order some crazy?? Yup!!
The boys last week did pretty well, the surf boards took a few hours to dry, but it went off fairly well....with the exception of them not listening to how to properly behave in the church....but they're boys, right!?
Anyway, this week we had a few glitches. A new boy came, and he was not one who gets along well with others. I wasn't in the room when it happened, but I guess he started a fight. NOT GOOD!! Then the boys were just on major sugar highs (coming straight to scouts from their Valentine's parties at school) and just would NOT pay attention.
My question now is, what was I thinking? That scouts would be a piece of cake...like my last calling?? I do realize that it took me YEARS to feel comfortable there, but I hope it doesn't take me long to get comfy here! All I can do when I come home is fall down, exhausted, and pray that I can find a way to get to know these boys, and help them to grow into better scouts, and young men! Boy, that's not asking for much, is it!?

8 comments:

Mel said...

Our boys are good for the most part and I think it helps that one of them is my own. Most of the boys are hanging here at our house almost daily anyway. Figuring out the scouting program (the achievements and awards) takes some time. Don't feel discouraged because I've been doing it for a year and I feel like I'm winging it most of the time. The great thing is that by the time Cameron is in scouts you will have everything figured out and then you can help him.

Okay, Dawnyel... I totally could not do the primary chorister job... EVER! Your so well rounded and I love that!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh boy. I remember mid-week activities! My leaders always tried to have lessons! I always ran around the building instead. Expect insanity and you'll be better off than expecting well behaved kids. They've had to behave well all day through school, and now they're away from their parents. Perhaps try bribery for good behavior and a set time for them to run in the gym.

Yes, I'm one of those kids teachers hate. With good reason.

Kim said...

I remember when my mom was in scouts. There were two boys that were the trouble makers in her troop. She was lucky that I was usually willing to help out with their activities, since the other den mother wasn't that too on top of things. Anyway, it's only your second week so don't freak out too much. It will get better eventually.

Anonymous said...

Anyone who ever said that scouting was easy has obviously never tried to lead it! Truthfully...scouting is DANG HARD WORK...but I can't think of a more rewarding calling when it comes to the youth in the church! Those boys are at a very impressionable time in their lives and you now have an opportunity to impact who they will become as they grow up! It is a very daunting and even terrifying task...but I know that you can do it! And if you DO it, you and they will be blessed beyond anyones comprehension!

(Is it obvious that I have a VERY strong testimony of the power of good scouting leaders? What can I say...it is in my blood!)

Mall Worker said...

Boys high on sugar? No good can come from that. I have no better advice to offer, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it!

Suzanne said...

It's always hard to get a new calling with new ages of children and circumstances. Like you said, it takes time to learn how they work and what works best. Good luck!

Anne/kq said...

I would love a calling in Scouts.

I would love a calling, period.

I've been a year and a half without a calling and I would take ANYTHING (except one, which I have had revelation is not right right now). It is driving me CRAZY. *sigh*

(Of course, now watch me be called to the absolute most boring and repugnant calling possible, right? I still won't care. I'll take it, I'll do it, at least I'll feel INVOLVED.)

Melzie said...

You're still new- don't get down on yourself! Seriously, it took me about a month before I felt like I was a good leader for my Webelos. And it was actually fun! :) But, I have an issue with scouts as a whole, but while I was in it- we had a grand time. Take your time, it'll all come together!