Monday, February 19, 2007

The Story of Steve, the Purse, and the Police

This post should go on my husband's blog, but I'm going to tell HIS story here! (I'm so nice that way!)
Last week, while he was at work, some people came and made a fairly normal order. Once they got their order they came BACK to the counter, and told my husband that they didn't get the sauces for their kid's chicken nuggets. Steve was very nice about it, and said, "I'm sorry, here you go, and if there's anything else I can do, let me know." Soon enough this couple left, and the day went on, like any other day, I suppose.
A little while later, the husband came back to the restaurant. He was livid! His wife's purse was missing, and he wanted to know where it was. Steve told him that none of the employees had been out from behind the counter, because they were so busy, and that if he waited, Steve would go and look. He took a few other employees with him, and they looked, but couldn't find it. The man then, in his fury, left. They thought nothing of it.
The next day, the police showed up, asking to talk with Steve. He went with them and told them the story. The police informed him that the woman was accusing Steve of stealing her purse. WHA!? The couple said that Steve had said something about if there was more than $400 in it, then it would be returned. (He never said anything like that!) They just KNEW it was Steve that took it. He told his story again, and said, "None of us had time to go out and even LOOK for her purse, but we did. And you can ask my employees!" The police did, and all of them agreed on the story, but the police said they wanted to give Steve a poly-graph test. He said, "Why does it matter? My story will be the same!" Then they set up a time, and are coming to ask him about it AGAIN today.
Steve even went so far as to talk to a lawyer in our ward yesterday at church. The lawyer told him what to tell the police if they try to push him into taking the poly-graph. His words are, "Tell them to SHUT UP!" Uh, I told him he'd better find a DIFFERENT way to say it, or he could be in SERIOUS trouble!!
What is wrong with this story?! Our city police, in an attempt to find the "truth," are HOUNDING my husband. And after his story was proved true by his employees and other witnesses! WHA!? I guess I should clean up me and the house, they'll be here in a few hours!

6 comments:

Anne/kq said...

Good grief. Does his work have a security system? Perhaps he can offer to let the police review the tapes for that day? I hate to say this, but it sounds like the lady either lost her purse elsewhere or is making up a false claim to begin with to me... I'm sorry your husband is going through this. :(

Suzanne said...

What a nightmare! I don't know why someone would accuse someone else of someone like that unless they were just a bad person. I hope everything is resolved quickly!

CareBearMommy said...

HOLY CRAP is pretty much all I have to say about that. That's just insane that someone would accuse Steve of something like that. He couldn't have, he wouldn't have (even if the opportunity had presented itself), and he just plain didn't! Not to mention, there is absolutely NO reason why that woman should be accusing him. She sounds wack-o. I hope the police quit hounding him, and that your family can get on with your normal, everyday lives.

Kristine said...

That's just beyond absurd. I can't believe they are taking this woman's accusations literally!
I hope they give you some peace soon.

Mel said...

Being accused of something you did not do is infuriating! I'm sorry that you even have to deal with this. The woman and her husband are wacko's or something! I hope this is resolved quickly.

Shelah said...

that's nuts! I can't believe the police are going to such trouble over a purse. Those people must be either well connected or really persistent. I'm sorry for Steve-- what a stinking pain!