Monday, February 12, 2007

My Life Monday: The One I Love

Years ago, I was an angry teen-aged monster. I would mope and just be a boar to be around. (This was usually when I was around my family....treat those you love the most the worst...)
Once I was sulking at a family reunion we were having many moons ago, and one of my many aunts noticed. My mom is one of 12 kids...so I have MANY aunts!
Anyway, she walked by me and just said: "Do you know how much I love you?" I stopped right then with my sulking and just stared at her. She didn't say or do anything else, just left me with that thought.
Since this aunt showed me some love, when I'm sure I was pretty hard to love, I've always felt a close relationship with her. She's such a strong lady, and I am constantly amazed by the way she shows her love. It doesn't matter how we act, she loves us.
I guess what I'm trying to say, is that it's easy to love those who are kind and friendly, but it's amazing to love those (of us) who are ornery and grouchy. I've ALWAYS admired and loved this aunt, and I just want to thank her (if she ever reads this) and let her know that her small token of love has profoundly affected me.
Since that comment I've tried to randomly show others that I, too, love them. Sometimes it catches them off guard, but other times...I get THE perfect reaction! Thanks to this aunt for showing me the example of true, pure love!
(Yes, I realize the assignment was to write about somebody you love, but I felt that I needed to remind myself that at one time, I was the somebody that someone loved!)

10 comments:

Mall Worker said...

That is a great story. Thank you for sharing that. Its important to let people know that you love them now and then. It feels good to say and to hear!

Amanda said...

What a great story! It is amazing what a little love can do to brighten someones days. Thanks for sharing!

Suzanne said...

So true! Thanks for sharing! You're right, it's easiest to love someone who is lovable. Your aunt is a great example to us all. Now I just need to work on loving more unconditionally! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks. When I was a young kid I was just as grouchy and sulky as you say that you were! A moment like that could have turned my life around a lot faster than I was able to on my own! This story means a lot to me! In this month of love..let us show everyone around us how special and loved they are!

Rachelle said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing!

Sketchy said...

Sometimes Aunts can do what Mothers can't. It's good to have good Aunties! Great story!!

CareBearMommy said...

Boy... you sure weren't kidding when you said you were an angry teen-aged monster! I was there, and I saw! :)

I think we are all monsters every now and then. It's very important to remember that there are always people out there who love us for who we are, monster and all. Thanks for sharing!

Anne/kq said...

I have a brother who sometimes seems determined to be an exercise in loving the unlovable. And to be honest, I have my moments myself! That was a great story, it made me think of so many things. :)

Anonymous said...

I loved that. That's it, I'm huggin' the next grumpy person I see! I hope your aunt reads this, it would be a "hug" to her.

Anonymous said...

PS: You need an award for your blog name! Cracks me up.