Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Random Acts of Kindness

I was blessed today by a sweet, anonymous letter I received today. I won't give all of the details, but the basic idea was that someone was thinking of me. I was touched. My husband was in shock and just stared at me. Neither one of us knew exactly what to do. I have no idea WHO sent it, but I am so humbled that someone took the time to send such a show of love to me and to my little family. Whoever you are, THANK YOU! I don't know if this small show of appreciation will even get to the person, but I hope it does.
This letter has me thinking about what kind of a person I am. Am I the kind of person who will follow a prompting when I get it, or do I feel like I'm being overly sensitive and ignore it? I'm ashamed to admit that for the most part, I'm the second...ignoring promptings and impressions I get because I think it's just me. Now that I've had this experience I've determined to turn it back around. I'm going to follow my impressions when I get them...no matter what I feel! This is my (late) resolution: to be a better example of Christ in all of my doings.

5 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

Whoa! After reading this, then chatting with you, "whoa" about sums it up. That is so totally awesome. Good luck on the Google hunt. Did you recognizr the handwriting? But just remember, if it wasn't meant for you to find out who sent it, then it ain't gonna happen. I know I'd be curious and wanna know, too, though. Congrats on the "random" act of kindness bestowed upon you.... though it doesn't sound to me like it was all that random.

Mall Worker said...

That is just so sweet! And a fun mystery! I hope you find out who sent you the letter :)

Rachelle said...

That is awesome! So sweet of somebody to do.

Anne/kq said...

That's so sweet. I hope you don't figure it out, though.

Let me explain my reasoning. A few Christmases back, we were sent an anonymous card and a cash gift that meant Emma got a Christmas present and we had a few extra treats to celebrate with, and our rent still got paid. I knew where I knew the person from because of the name they used. But after reflecting, we actively decided NOT to try to figure out where it came from. The giving was anonymous, and we decided that we were going to honor that, by letting it remain so. If they ever want to tell us who they are, they will. If not, I will just hope they saw my thank-you and leave it at that.

Dawnyel said...

Just for your information:
Yes, there was a return address on the envelope. I was feeling extra curious, so I Googled the address. (I didn't recognize the handwriting at ALL!)
Once I got the results from the search, I found that the address was for some retirement community. So even if the person who sent the letter REALLY lives there (which I suspect is NOT the case...) then there's no way to track down exactly WHO it is. I guess this will forever remain a mystery, but don't think we're NOT grateful...we are!!