Friday, January 26, 2007

Combating My Addictions and Habits

What is it about chocolate that just turns me into a happy person? Lately, like for the past 2 or 3 weeks, I've been not just wanting a taste here and there...I'm wanting to eat nothing BUT chocolate. The craving is just BAD! My herbologist (when I went to see her the FIRST time) told me that cravings for chocolate is your body's way of telling you that you need certain vitamins or minerals. Whatever chocolate has...I'm seriously deficient. I NEED to eat chocolate, but I should cut back...."should" being the word there!
To help me out with this chocolate addiction, I've got a new tool. No, nothing I can eat, but something that encourages me to exercise: a treadmill. My Grandma was saying that she had a treadmill in the back of her truck. She was going to give it to her daughter, but her son-in-law vetoed putting it into their house. I mentioned that I was looking for something to get me moving, and maybe I could take it for her. She was thrilled to find someone who wanted it, but I told her that I'd have to talk to Steve about it before giving the go ahead. I called Steve and he asked me, "Is this already decided, or do I really have a say?" I tried to make it sound like it was all dependent upon his approval, but he was smarter than that! He said it was okay, and a few nights ago we brought it home. At first I knew that I needed to rearrange my living room, just to make room, so I did some moving, rearranging, putting away, and now we have a little spot for the new machine.

While talking with my grandma and mom, they said something about how they'd heard that it's better for you to walk backwards on a treadmill. I don't know if they were joking, but I've been walking backwards on it, and it really works my buns! (I also walk forwards...that works too!) I'm slowly working my way up from being a complete couch-potato to being more active. I've set a small goal, that one day, maybe not this month...maybe not this year, but someday, I'll be fit enough to run on my own...maybe doing a mini-marathon. It's going to take a lot of work, but it's something I'm excited to try for!

9 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

Way to go! That's awesome that you got a free treadmill from your grandma! I hope it works for you, and that you are able to accomplish your goals.

BTW... from what I can see in those pics, I like the way your living room is arranged.

Rachelle said...

You go girl! I have treadmill envy.

Anne/kq said...

Awesome! I find walking is about the only thing I can do on a regular basis to stay in shape-- but it's been to cold lately to walk much. I wish I had a treadmill. :)

Mall Worker said...

That is just awesome! I want to get a treadmill. I hate most forms of working out but walking I like. I can do walking while watching TV totally.

Lei said...

treadmills are great! yeah - mine catches dust for me and has this great little shelf at the bottom for my pillows.

:)

Suzanne said...

How fun! I'd love to get a treadmill! We have an exercise room in the complex we live in so I can use the treadmill there, but someday I won't have that option anymore.

Have fun walking backwards! :)

Melzie said...

I have some papers on workouts to do on a treadmill- really! :) It's kinda crazy/fun, printe them from a website.

Enjoy your treadmill-- I love ours!

One Scrappy Gal said...

Kudos to you for taking this first step towards being healthier!! You'll have buns of steel before you know it!!

I agree with you about the fact that we crave chocolate because we NEED it! I want to eat it 24/7!!

Anonymous said...

YAY! When you said that you were getting a treadmill I thought it was a dream! That is awesome! I am envious! I hope that you can keep up the motivation to use it daily! It looks like it is in really good shape too! Yay for family members who give you good stuff for free!