Tuesday, November 07, 2006

MRI Trip

Our trip was LONG and not really very informative.
I'll try to summarize my day, again, it was LONG!
Sunday night we informed Cameron that he couldn't eat ANYTHING when he woke up the next morning, so we spent the entire evening feeding the boy anything his heart desired. Then we put him to bed...hoping for the best.
Early the Monday morning I woke up...feeling like I should get up, even though the alarm wasn't set to go off for another 10 minutes. As soon as I stepped off of my bed, I heard Cam running, full speed, up the stairs. I saw his face was covered with chocolate. NO! HE DIDN'T! But he had! He'd eaten some of his left-over Halloween chocolate, and after some coaxing, he admitted to eating some. I was so furious with the child! I put him in the tub for his bath and went into my room to cool off.
I was SO mad! Every once in a while I'd hear him call out for me. Then after about 10 minutes he called out, "Mama? Am I having time-out in the tub?"
I had to admit, that broke me down...I couldn't stop laughing! So I allowed him to get out!
We left town about 8:00, and drove and drove and drove. We arrived at the hospital with 20 minutes to spare. We checked in with the medical imaging place, and watched as Cam bounced from toy to toy in the waiting room. (Have I mentioned my LOVE of this hospital?)
We were finally called back, did all of the usual mumbo-jumbo, and told the nurses that if they wanted a semi-happy patient, they should do the IV at the last possible moment. (And they listened! I SOOOOO love this hospital!) They had him restrained while they attempted to put the IV into his hand. The first attempt wasn't working, so they had to do it a second time! The second time was successful! And they instantly administered the sleeping medicine to him. It didn't even take a full minute for him to fall asleep. As they took him away I commented to my mom that I wouldn't mind giving him that stuff EVERY night when it was bedtime. (OF COURSE, I was joking...really...I mean it!)
Then the nurse told us that we'd have to wait in the waiting room. We told her that we wanted to eat lunch, and she said that was fine. The procedure was going to take 30 minutes, and they'd let him sleep an additional 2 hours after that, so we had plenty of time.
We ate in Primary's cafeteria (the better of the two hospital cafeterias that we'd eaten in!) and went into the waiting room for the next 3 hours! After a while I worried about what was taking them so long to call us back, so I asked the receptionist. She called back to the recovery room and apparently they had called us back over the loud speaker...but we hadn't heard ANYTHING! So we gathered our stuff (I had been reading a book, and my mom was crocheting a baby dress, plus we had Cam's shoes, glasses, and stuff...) and hurried to see how he was doing.
The nurses told us that he didn't have anything wrong happen with regards to the anesthesia, but now that we were there, we could wake him up.
We took blankets off of him, shook him, called his name and after nothing happened we then looked to the nurses. They had gotten a hold of Dr. S in the meantime, and he wanted to talk with me on the phone. He told me that he hadn't gotten a tech to look at the results, but he'd get right on it. As I was walking back to his bed my mom and the nurse were pressing a cool, wet washcloth to his face. It made him SO mad it finally woke him up.
The medicine they gave him was so strong that the poor kid couldn't control his body at all! They told us it could stay in his system for 24 hours! He was just like a rag doll! I asked him if he needed to go to the bathroom and he did, but I had to carry him there. I sat him down on the toilet, and he was so out of it with the drugs he was laughing at ODD things! When we came out, the doctor was on the phone for me AGAIN. I was still holding Cam, so the nurses pushed out a chair for me to sit on and I tried to hold Cam and talk at the same time.
It was one of the hardest things...trying to carry on a civilized conversation and holding a floppy 50-pound baby! The jist of the conversation was that there are a FEW things that they want to take a closer look at: fatty area around the tip of his spine, and a few lymph nodes of interest...but the GOOD thing was NO BAD TUMORS!! *doing a dance of joy!* They weren't "official" results, but they're fairly certain that he's fine! They recommended another scan, either MRI or CT, within the next 3 to 6 months. The thing about what they saw was that there really isn't anyway to know whether the things of interest are causing problems, growing, or just fine...because this was the FIRST MRI he's had. But Dr. S told me that there really isn't anything to worry about. I was SO relieved!
Then after we FINALLY got Cam more awake we were able to check-out and leave for home. By this time it was after 5:00, and Cam hadn't eaten much all day! So we caught a "McGonalds" on the way out of town, and a Wendy's for me and my mom, and drove home.
I was so exhausted and ready to be home! My mom carried Cam inside my house for me, and he tried to get up to get something, and he fell over backwards...he was STILL dizzy and walking like a drunk. I decided that I would keep him home today, just to make sure he didn't have any problems and I knew all was well.

He probably SHOULD have gone to school today, but he stayed home and pushed his mama's buttons ALL day long!
The other nice news is that I'll most likely be DONE babysitting those kids that drive me crazy by Thursday! I'm so excited! But now, all I want to do is SLEEP! So forgive me for not visiting you lately, but I WILL catch up soon! (I hope!)

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'm glad you made it through your day!

That's great that the drs. didn't find any major concerns. Let us know when you hear more! :)

Mama D said...

Sounds like a long day. I'm glad that the news was good. Too bad the little fella is in for more testing but the worst is ruled out anyway.

CareBearMommy said...

I'm glad that, all-in-all, your trip went well. That was just too cute, hearing about how floppy and loopy the drugs made Cameron, and that he was a good sport about it. At least he won't have to have another MRI.

Good luck on the babysitting ordeal. I hope, as you do, that Thursday is your last day. Let us all know how it goes!

Mel said...

Glad to hear that the MRI went well.

Anne/kq said...

I'm glad the results are good. And that nothing really bad happened with the anesthesia... When I was 12 they gave me the "sleepy stuff" and I had a "paradoxical reaction". That means, basically, I started hallucinating. And hallucinated for 4.5 hours. It was the scariest experience of my life.

As a result, they didn't do the procedure that day and had to repeat it under general anesthesia. Not fun.

Melzie said...

All I can think of is YAY!!! No bad tumors is cause for happy dances everywhere!

Sketchy said...

Such good news! Whew!!