Monday, October 30, 2006

Ward Reunion Update

I'm sorry I don't have my pictures up for this last weekend...we got a new camera and we're STILL figuring it all out!
Saturday was fun! We went and spent a few hours with Steve's parents and brother. Talked and laughed...educated and supported....it was all good.
Then we attempted to find our way through the hills in Steve's hometown. My old bishop's new house was in a NICE area, but neither one of us were really familiar with the place. Eventually we found a brightly lit up house with many cars around it. We went up to the door, pressed the call button, and found ourselves invited in.
As I went down the stairs I was a bit apprehensive. I could hear that former crush talking, and I had completely forgotten that STEVE'S former crush would ALSO be there. I shouldn't have worried so much! We all had a fun time! Laughing and telling stories just like we hadn't been apart! I was really glad to have gone to this activity because it gave me the opportunity to apologize to people I hadn't seen for years!
When I was in college I was extremely self-centered, very bossy, rude, and mean! (Okay, not totally, but I had my moments...) Anyway, there was one guy who we ALWAYS picked on, and I've always felt guilty because I was so awful to him. He showed up with his wife. I guess his wife had been in the ward the year AFTER I left, and she knew pretty much everyone too...except for me. We talked and I told her that I really had regretted the way I had treated her husband when we were in school, and I hoped that he didn't feel like we hated him or anything, because he was really one of THE nicest guys I had ever known! She seemed to understand what I was talking about and said he didn't really say much about it.
After that we all talked and I totally felt like myself. I haven't felt like ME in so long! It's been weird, but when I'm with these people (many I've only known for those short months I was in college) I feel more like the OLD me which really feels like the ONLY me! (Okay, I know I've lost a few readers here....I apologize!) I haven't laughed and had that much fun in a VERY long time!
The fun part of the evening was when one of my bridesmaids showed up. I haven't seen her FOREVER! She had gotten married, her husband had joined the Navy and last I had heard she moved to California. Since I lost contact she'd moved back in-state, and is expecting her second baby. I was thrilled to see her and catch up. SERIOUSLY the funnest night I've had in a LONG time!
Former crush, bridesmaid, and good friend.
Once I can figure out my dumb camera I'll put up those pictures. We got a couple of the WHOLE group and I snapped a few of the few friends I, personally, was closest with! I highly recommend going to (or even putting these together) one of these events...they're so much fun!

This is the WHOLE group! It was kinda dark, but we all had a good time!

7 comments:

Anne/kq said...

I've had several apologies from people who were horrible to me in high school. I told them at the time (and I mean it) that I'd forgiven them already, that I figured that they weren't the same people they had been then, and that I am willing to start over and accept them for who they are now. But I know it was important to them to apologize, even though I know it was hard for them to do, and truth be told it was important to me, too. So the people you apologized to may not have said much, but I bet it was important to them, and they will probably never forget that you made that effort. :)

Amanda said...

I am so glad that you had such a wonderful time! I too was not exactly the nicest person in my younger years. Sometimes I wonder why those people even put up with me. Someday I will be able to see them and apologize.

Mel said...

I'm glad that you had a good time and that you felt like yourself once again.

Lisa M. said...

I am so glad you had a good time! I have atteneded few reunions. This makes it seem not so bad!

Millie said...

Apologizing always feels so good, doesn't it? How weird to show up where so many former crushes were... Yikes!

Suzanne said...

I think most of us probably went through phases of varying degrees of "meanness" when we were young. Isn't it great growing up and realizing that's not who we really are!

I'm glad you had a good time at your reunion. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh-- makes me want to have one too! The closest I got was my 10 yr high school reunion, but bowed out when I learned where it would be & that it was in late Spetember. ;)