Sunday, October 01, 2006

October

I love the month of October. Let me share with you those reasons that I love this month more than others.
Birthday
Cameron's birthday is in a few days. Who WOULDN'T love a month for the birth of their child? I'll be sharing MORE of my memories of that day later this week, but for now...it's a good reason to LOVE October.
Anniversary
My husband and I were married in October. We had originally planned on a different date, but for some reason, it never quite felt right. Once we decided to change the day to October it just worked and things totally fell into place. (Again, I'll be talking more about THAT day in a while!)
Fall
Have I mentioned how much I love fall? I love that after a hot summer, the days cool off. I also like that "bedtime" is now dark instead of being sunny and bright. I love the different colored leaves that show up this time of year. Yesterday I was pointing out to Cameron the different colored leaves on the trees, and today he did the same for me. I love the crispness that the air has. I love the fact that kids are doing productive things instead of rambling around the neighborhood being destructive (although there are the token pumpkin smashers...) I love that this is the time of year that the crops are being harvested and seeing the FRESH produce in the stores. Getting some fresh fruit or vegetables from a neighbor's garden is just up there with my TOP favorite things of the season. The whole season just makes me a happier me.
Halloween
I love seeing little kids getting excited for a holiday, and Halloween is one holiday that is all about the kids. (I know that's not how it used to be....but that's how it's evolved!) Costumes, candy, and the glow of a jack-o-lantern are some of the views of the season. Sure, the sugar rush AFTER is not fun, but that night is one of those memories I love to pull out on dull days.
No More Reruns
I love that I can watch my favorite television shows and not have to say, "Oh, we've already watched this one...remember?" I love the shows that come out, and the new episodes of my old favorites! It's just a fun time to be a couch potato!
Conference
I LOVED watching General Conference this weekend. I love knowing that every October I'll be able to hear from the leadership of the Church. All I can say about me trying to watch it this last weekend is: DISTRACTED. I won't get too whiny about it, but let's just say that I don't like watching other people's kids while I'm trying to worship! UGH!
Daylight Savings Ends
Who doesn't love an EXTRA hour of sleep? (Or for those who are motivated...an extra hour in the day!) It makes the days a little easier to deal with, and I love the extra hour that we get. I read somewhere that thanks to that extra hour, October is the longest month of the year...and I just can't get enough of it!
I'm just so glad that it's October again...but I just want to know: Where did the rest of the year go?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got lots to be thankful for this month! How excellent!

Enjoy your month!

CareBearMommy said...

So... what happened to your quality weekend with your hubby? How long (and how many) did you have to babysit? I'm sorry you were distracted during conference. However, I am glad that you're so happy about it now being October. Although I don't have my anniversary this month, it IS Jazz's birthday. So, there's one reason I like October (I also like it for many of the other rasons you mentioned).

We don't get conference on TV here (since we don't have cabe). So, my only other options were to either 1)go to the church, or 2) listen to it over the internet. Trying to do EITHER with two little kids is nigh unto IMPOSSIBLE. So, we opted for a third alternative... we watched some conference on DVD from April of 2005. We will be getting the General Conference dvd set for this session here within the next month or so. We will watch it at that time. Lucky you... getting to watch it LIVE.

Mama D said...

Lots of exciting stuff going on. Hope the birthday and anniversary are fun.

I too am glad 'real' tv has started up again.

Mall Worker said...

Those are just great reasons to love October. My b-day is in october too! It really is a great month!