Sunday, September 10, 2006

A Productive Day

I have a few updates that I thought I'd share with all of you who have been following my drama-queen life:
1. Communication with regards to my babysitting situation. My friend, L, came over today to discuss what they have planned for making babysitting work for me and for them. The poor girl was so tired she had a hard time focusing on what was going on. But she's talked with her husband, and thanks to the last few days of being shocked by many different sources, he's back to who he normally is. (He's been so tired and wiped out from his job that he's been ornery, grouchy, selfish...) He WAS shocked with my announcement of the extra fee for babysitting past the expected time. Their suggestion is that every once in a while he may need a break...especially if she's working a 12-hour shift too. So the NEW schedule is he will pick up the kids at the regular time (before 1:00) on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Fridays they request that L picks the kids up at 3:30. I told her that it sounds fine with me. I told her that mostly my problem with having the kids late was the mental aspect. If I know ahead of time (I told her I need 2 days notice of extra hours) then I will be fine. On top of this new schedule, they are paying me more money too! She realized that what I've been getting is WAY less than I deserve, and so now they're going to STILL trade out massages, but I will be getting $140 a month! I'm feeling much better about the whole thing. If this still doesn't work out for me (I have a break-down or something like that) then I will still have the option of quitting, but so far this has put my mind at ease.
2. Singing Time Olympics. This idea was BRILLIANT!! (Thanks,
Carrie!) The kids ate it up! Not only do the kids love the competitive spirit and sing better, but the primary presidency also has a say in how well they think the kids are doing. It helps the kids know how much better they have to do to earn a "10!" They did GREAT!! And the points are pretty close: Junior Primary has 149 and Senior Primary has 152.5. (I wasn't planning on any ".5's" but the kids really worked hard for it!)
3. I'm not the ONLY chorister in Primary anymore! Last week, while I was out of town, they called a new lady in the ward to be the senior primary chorister...and she's so good! She's the lady who had called me a
few weeks ago wondering if I could babysit her child on Mondays...and the one I had to say "no" to. I told her about my whole Olympics idea and she fell in love with it! So the Olympics goes on! :)
All in all, I had a GREAT day! Don't you just love it when things finally come together?!

2 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

Dude.... like, ya know, DUDE! That is awesome that things are looking up for you with you whole babysitting saga. And good for you, for sticking up for yourself. I hope this new arrangement happily works for everybody involved.

I'm glad that things are working out with the singing olympics. We begin ours next week. I know that the kids will probably end up not knowing half of the songs since the chorister has to have every other Sunday off now that he's in graduate school (with rotations at the hospital, etc). At least we finally have a steady sub lined up for the weeks he's gone. Still, we only have two months to go (our presentation is on Nov. 12.... that will be my last day in Primary). I hope that your kids' enthusiasm doesn't die down, and that they will be able to learn all the songs. Good luck! BTW... what are you going to be doing during senior primary now that there's another chorister?

Dawnyel said...

During Senior primary I do what I used to do...prepare my stuff for the next week! :) I'm actually their score keeper as well. We're still learning the sign language to Follow the Prophet, so I am of some help...sometimes! :) Our program is Nov. 19! Just a week after yours! :D