Saturday, August 26, 2006

Sticker Charts from the Trenches



When you look at this picture do you think, "Gee, that looks like a sweet boy!"? You should, because that's what he looks like, but hidden beneath this sweetness lies a defiant monster!

We've been trying out a new thing with Cameron. He's such a spoiled rotten child that he's gotten really sassy and ornery with us. He's constantly telling us, "NO!" or "I don't wanna!" But all I hear from his teachers and others who work with him is that he's a fun boy and that he's really good. They even tell us that he listens to them! Why can't he do that with us?

Anyway, we've started a new system and it looks like it will work. I've made up a chart with specific goals that I want Cam to accomplish (obeying parents, being nice to others, not whining....) and every time he does something that falls within one of those categories he gets a sticker on the chart. Once he gets at least one sticker next to each goal (there are like 6 areas) he'll get some candy. If he fills a row with stickers, then he gets to play his computer game. He still hasn't earned any candy yet, but he's REALLY close. We got this idea from the Learning Center. They have goal charts all over the place, and we figured that if it worked for them, then it could work for us. I'm even going to make up a chart for the 2 year old that I watch. I'm actually thinking about modifying it so that he has the rules written next to the chart, and when he fills a row he gets candy, when he fills 2 rows he'll get to play on the computer. It's still a work in progress, but it seems like it's sinking in.

For a long while now we've been trying to teach Cam to be nice to animals and to other kids, but he just doesn't seem to care! I'm hoping that with this chart it will make him think before he does something.

Today I had a fun morning. My cousin got remarried and I was able to be there. He looked SO happy and I'm glad he married the gal he did. They are so cute together! So in love!! Awww!! His daughter waited for him to come out of the Temple this morning and as soon as she saw him she hiked her dress up, began running toward him squealing, "Daddy!" and took a flying leap into his arms. It was so sweet. His new wife just looked on with a huge grin on her face, and tears streaming down her cheek! I love it when things work out for the best!

They had an open house last night since they took off immediately after the ceremony to Boise for the other reception. They had asked my mom to help serve, but she has date night EVERY Friday night and asked if I could do part of it for her. So I was helping serve. I had a good time, catching up with my cousins on the recent gossip. I was in the kitchen fixing up some plates when my other cousin came running in saying, "Dawnyel, you HAVE to come see this!!" I finished up quickly and hurried to the gym to find my son dancing with my cousin's daughter. They were slow dancing. It was so sweet. Cam even spun Eisha a couple of times and she flourished her dress to make it look fancier! It was the sweetest thing I've seen in a LONG time! I was upset that I didn't have a camera. Hopefully I can get copies of it from my cousin! It was so precious. The whole way home Cam was telling me that he was dancing with Eisha and she was his friend. He had a blast, and I was impressed he knew how to dance like that! He really has a good sense of rhythm!

There are times like this when Cam can be so sweet, and hopefully with this new reward system, those things will happen more often!

5 comments:

Mall Worker said...

I'm sure that the sticker chart will work wonders! I'm glad that you and him had such a great time at the wedding and reception! That picture of him is just way to cute!

Blackeyedsue said...

That is such a cute story about Cam dancing. I love it when they surprise you.

I like the sticker chart idea. My neighbors little boy was over here today and he said that they have a new reward system. They put pony-beads on a string for good behavior. Bad behavior gets beads taken away. Their mom marked a spot on the string so that they know when they have earned their reward.

I love these methods. I wish they worked with two year olds.

Melzie said...

Fun!! :) We did the sticker chart too-- worked great- now we need to come up with something else. LOL!

PSSSt-- thank you too..

Blackeyedsue said...

Dawnyel, thank you so much for your kind words. I needed them. You are a true friend.

CareBearMommy said...

Good luck with the whole sticker thingy. That sounds like it'll work wonders. BTW... Jasmine also seems to behave better for other people than she does for us. Interesting...

I'm happy for your cousin. I remember meeting him a few years ago, and it's nice to see how he's changed the course of direction in his life. Good for him! It's also nice to hear that the openhouse went so well. (That would have been cute to see him dancing with your cousin's daughter!)