Monday, August 28, 2006

Classroom Mama

Today was fun! I went to drop Cam off, like I do everyday, except today I was asked to stay and help out. Since today is my one day off during the week (every week) I agreed and trailed the kindergartners into the school.
Once in the classroom they started out by writing their names on a packet of papers and then drawing a picture of themselves. Of course there were those few who are so advanced over the others that they got bored really fast with this activity. After that they said the pledge (I was so happy to see that!) Next they had story time. During story time the other mom and I found out what exactly we were going to be doing.
The kids separate into different "centers" where they do different activities (arts, science, math, and listening.) I picked the math center...and I COULD do it! Yay for kindergarten math! All they had to do was trace shapes and color in the solid ones. WAY easy!
Without knowing what I had done I volunteered to be in charge of the group Cam was in. Big mistake! The kid KNEW he could get away with all sorts of crap, so he did! He whined and bawled that he didn't want to do it. The teacher's aide had to help calm him down and get him working. See, I could deal with the other kids...they listened to me, but my own child would NOT cooperate! Eventually we all finished and the kids moved onto other things. After the centers they went to gym. While they were out of the room we talked about how chaotic those activities had been. The teacher told us what her plans are for calming it down, I'm hoping that it will work out...for her sake!
While the kids were at gym Cam's new in-class aide, Amber, showed up. I wished her luck and then we talked about why she was there. (Mainly to help keep him focused and on task.) I'm REALLY excited for her to start! This should help out those poor overdrawn teachers immensely!
While the kids were still out of the room the teacher, aide, and other mom were asking me if I was tired. Amazingly I wasn't! Playing with those kids wasn't any more exhausting than Primary on Sunday! All three of them were searching for coffee to help keep them going, but I was fine. Weird!
Now every Monday morning I will be in Cam's class being a classroom mama! Oh, the joy!
Just a little while ago I got my hair cut. I will post pictures of me....once I get them taken. Today might not be the best day to do that since it's still brand new, and not quite "fixed." The stylist just cut it, thinned it, and then I had her wax my brows! Ahhhh....I feel amazingly hairless! It's WONDERFUL! When I got home, I quickly went to a mirror, shook my head out, sprayed with hairspray, and VOILA!! It's done! I love it when I don't have to do much to it for it to look nice! And yes, I'm bragging! I'm so cute! :)

5 comments:

Lynanne said...

Kindergarteners are so much fun! I think being a classroom helper would be much better than being a teacher. When my oldest son was 5, I taught his Sunday school class. Oh what an experience!!

I'm totally envious of your new haircut - it sounds so cute and easy to take care of!

Blackeyedsue said...

I am so glad that you stayed to help. It is such a good way to keep a pulse on the classroom.

I can't wait to see a picture of your new doo!

CareBearMommy said...

Fun, fun, fun. So, are you going to try to avoid being in charge of groups that Cam is in from now on? Maybe now that his aide is here, things won't get so chaotic. I'll keep my fingers crossed. That's good for you to volunteer your valuable spare time to help out in the classroom. I hope things work out for everyone.

And congrats on the new 'do. It's been about five months since my last haircut, but I'm afraid to cut it (out of fear that I'll do something too drastic, which usually happens). I'm glad you're happy with it, and I look forward to seeing some pics of it!

Mama D said...

I'm glad you had fun at school.

The new haircut sounds great! Of course you're cute!!

Kristine said...

Waiting to see a picture of your new haircut!

I love going into my kid's classrooms...I hope you enjoy it too.