Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Love at First Burp


Have you ever asked your spouse when they first fell in love with you? I have many times, and I always get the strangest answer. "When I heard you burp."
Here is the story behind the comment.
I am not...I repeat....NOT a girlie-girl. I was when I was little, but as I hit my teen-age years I grew out of that phase! You can ask my many friends who went to girls' camp with me, they'll tell you all about my gross moments. But I digress....Since I'm not a girlie-girl. I enjoy a good belching contest, and that was where the love-burp came from.
In college I was in the institute choir, and we were involved in a "musical." Since we had VERY few men in the choir, we had to combine multiple choirs to get enough guys to make it work. The musical was successful, and afterward they wanted to have a celebratory dinner. The girls were asked to bring the food, and the guys were asked to bring the drinks. Every guy that brought something to drink brought ROOT BEER!
Another friend and I were talking with another girl (who definitely is not afraid to show her true self...) and the three of us decided to have a belching contest. I thought it would be fun, and after downing 10 little Dixie cups worth of root beer in like a minute...we began to burp.
Steve had been one of those men recruited to join us in the musical, so he was there for the party. As the contest got underway, we lost the momentum we had started out with, so we gulped down more and more cups of root beer. I don't exactly remember who won the contest. What I do remember, is that afterward Steve had to help roll me up the hill to my dorm. I was so miserably sick with bubbly root beer that he had to walk right next to me...holding me up.
When I ask him WHY it was the burping that made him fall for me he tells me that he'd never heard any girl burp like that before...I had impressed him.
I guess you could call it one of my previously untapped talents. I had never thought to burp to attract guys to me, but hey, I have the guy I want now, and he loves me....burps and all!

4 comments:

Mall Worker said...

That is such a sweet story! I love a good belching contest! I'm always good to go after a can of coke!

CareBearMommy said...

Spoken-- er, should I say belched--like a true woman! Isn't it wonderful how he was attracted to something that was "all-you"? In other words, you weren't on your "best" behavior to lure him in. He was happy with you just for being you. How sweet.

ps... I have always used those annoying letter thingies on my blog to thwart unwanted spam.

Millie said...

lol... I just asked Bri when he first fell in love with me, and he said while we were dating... and I was talking to him and his friend Tim on a conference call while I was in a bubble bath, shaving my legs. Hmmmm! What was HE thinking about! ;)

Anonymous said...

Mm, Mormon drinking contests.