Wednesday, June 21, 2006

"Where Are You Going?"

I admit it: I'm lazy. But now I've sunk to an all new low.
When I turned 13 my parents allowed me to start wearing make-up. I loved to experiment with the colors and the textures to produce an all new colorful me. I swore up and down that when I got older I was NOT going to let my make-up habit fall away. I was going to wear make-up EVERY day. I loved the feeling of looking "pretty!"
Fast forward many years...
I HATE make-up. It's such a pain in the butt! The only times I ever wear it are when I go to church, when I have to make a good impression, or out on a date with my husband. I rarely wear the stuff. I just feel that I'm not out there to impress anyone, so why should I have to try hard to make good impressions. (Okay, that's not my ONLY excuse, but it's the one my mind rationalizes to itself...)
Today, I woke up and felt very blah. I didn't want to feel this way all day, so I decided to put on some make-up, fix my hair, and wear earrings. As I was prettying myself up, my husband walked by. He stopped to admire for a few seconds, then he asked the question, "Where are you going today?"
AAAAAAAAAH! No!! I'm not making myself pretty because I have somewhere I have to be...I'm just doing it to help me to feel pretty....I'm NOT going anywhere!!
My mom often complained that we'd ask her that dreaded question when she would put make-up on too. Now, I've also inherited that comment. Maybe I should put it on more often, then again, maybe not...

7 comments:

Mall Worker said...

Make up just takes too long! Espeically when you're just running to the store to get some diapers before there's an emergancy! Thats my excuse anyway. I'll get all done up when I'm going places that are not the grocery store!

CareBearMommy said...

I'm there with ya, the whole way! I only do makeup on Sundays and other "special" occasions. Even then, I don't put much on...blush, eye shadow, mascara, and lip gloss. I rarely ever do the foundation thingy any more. That's just too big of a pain in the butt, ESPECIALLY in the summer, when I'm all hot and sweaty. EWW. I'll only put the foundation on if my husband begs me to. He thinks I should wear makeup every day, and that it will help me feel better. I guess he's right, but I just can't see gettin' all dolled up to clean the toilet!

bon said...

My face is so ruddy that foundation is the FIRST thing I put on! Then mascara then eyeliner and that's usually as far as I get. I get the dreaded question too, and I OFTEN wear make up.

Millie said...

I don't wear makeup as often as I feel like I should. I agree it's a pain, but I figure other people have to look at me and it's the least I can do. :)

Anonymous said...

Just a few days before my grandpa died he was watching my grandma get ready for the day...he said to her at that time "no wonder you call it 'putting on your face'...you really don't have one before makeup do you?" Of course he was teasing...but I am a lot like my grandma...I need makeup to feel like I have a face! I wear it every single day even when we are camping! I LOVE makeup!

Blackeyedsue said...

I have a friend that does her hair and makeup EVERYDAY! I don't have the time or the energy to waste on that.

I read a sign once that said "A clean house is the sign of a wasted life." That is my motto about lots of things lately, including makeup.

Anonymous said...

LOL -- This is sooo me! I actually became a stage makeup artist! I know a lot about it...and how often do I wear makeup these days? Ah once or twice a week if I'm lucky (or if my husband's lucky!)

I don't really hate makeup, I just don't see it as a needful thing in my daily life. Not sure why, as I have the routine down I can "pretty up" in less than 5 minutes, the whole thing from foundation to done - I'm a pit team makeup artist!