Monday, June 12, 2006

My Life Monday

This week's topic is a favorite childhood toy.
This topic is hard for me. I played more with nothing than I did with something, so I'd have to say my favorite childhood toy was my imagination.
As you may know by now, I have a strange title for my personal blog. The inspiration for my title comes from using my "toy" when a friend and I would pretend we were wearing giant invisible rubber underwear. But we did more than just wear invisible underwear...
For many many years my family lived in an apartment in the very bar-ridden section of my down town hometown. Our only "neighbors" were those bars or restaurants. I only knew other kids through family activities or through church. So when my parents told me that we would be moving into a house I was excited for the adventure of playing with other kids who lived nearby. The first week we were in our new home, the neighbor lady came by to welcome us and to introduce her two daughters to me. I couldn't have been more happy or excited! The one that was closer to my own age had hidden herself behind her mother and peeked around her mother's legs. Her brown hair was cut short and she had HUGE brown eyes. That was my first memory of Carrie. Soon enough we became the best of friends.
I learned early on that Carrie had an amazing imagination. She'd come up with things that would boggle my small, untested mind. One of our favorite activities would be marking out our front lawns to make mansions for ourselves. And since we could have things any way we wanted, our mansions were AWESOME! Many times we'd change things up a bit so that we could have any room we wanted, or do anything that we wanted: our mansions had elevators and hundreds of floors. Along with these mansions we had imaginary families. I remember vividly wandering around our yards with our hands tightly fisted...we were pushing our babies in their strollers. We'd often give one another tours of our "homes," just because they would change so much during the weeks! We had SO much fun just imagining our perfect environments and lives. Those are times that will ALWAYS stay with me! I may not remember the exact details of what we did, but the feelings of happiness and contentment will be with me forever.
Now, don't think of me as a crazy lady, I did play with "real" toys as well: my Cabbage Patch doll, My Little Ponies, Strawberry Shortcake, my bean bag doll...but my imagination would have to be my FAVORITE "toy!" It's what has brought me the most fun remembering my childhood.

To see or read other MLM participants visit Rachelle's blog.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

The imagination is great...you can take it wherever you go!

Mall Worker said...

Imagination is the best toy a kid could ever play with! It sounds like you had just a blast, and still do, with yours :)

Anonymous said...

I just know we were destined to be friends! My imagination runs free too! When K and I were kids we would imagine that we were princesses in search of the dragon (no sissy women here...we didn't feel like we needed a prince to do the dirty work for us)! It is no wonder that our group of friends was so close...we all have fab imaginations! ...ESPECIALLY C!

CareBearMommy said...

HAHAHAHA! I remember doing all that stuff. I also remember puting on plays in our backyards, not to mention our invisible children, backyard camping trips, and diplomas on top of the monkey bars.

For some strange reason, another memory just popped into my head. It doesn't have anything to do with our imagination, but it's a vivid memory all the same. Do you remember when you'd come over to my house and take your shoes off in my bedroom? Whew! :) We'd always laugh about how stinky it got!

Rachelle said...

You have an awesome imagination! I hope to cultivate such an exciting one in my son!

Millie said...

I loved my imagination - and when I had a friend who had one also, oh boy. There was no stopping us.

Thanks for reminding us that the best toys in life aren't toys.

beth said...

I'm with you on this. Imagination is what childhood's all about.Love the sound of those mansions.

Katy said...

Imagination?! They still have those? LOL! Great post. Makes me want to work on it with my kids more. That truly was the best part of being a kid -- still is!

Blackeyedsue said...

Dawnyel, I LOVE this. Your favorite toy is the BEST toy of all!!!

Dawnyel said...

taffi: Ever since your Spongebob comment I've been thinking "imagina.....tion" when I say that word! And funny thing...I just saw that episode today! FUNNY!!