Saturday, May 06, 2006

Blonde Moments


I had a blast on my short trip to Utah yesterday and today. I went, mainly, for my good friend's baby shower. It's her first baby and I am SOOOOOOO excited for her and her husband. I've known the girl since we were in middle school....feuding, most of the time. But after a very rocky year we've been buds since. Her shower was lots of fun. I got to meet a bunch of her new friends and I had a strange sense of deja vu. See, when I hung out with her in middle school I was the weird/funny one, she was the serious/thoughtful one, and another friend was the smart/quirky one. She has found herself the same group of friends in her town. I'm just so happy for her! She's doing well and seems ready to have her baby boy soon! (Her husband is excited too!)
I figured that if I was going to go to Utah that I would try to spend some time with my sister. So that's the whole reason that I left yesterday. I was hoping that Steve and I could both spend time there together, and maybe catch a session at the temple. But his work schedule got messed up, so he had to stay and work while I was stuck going all by myself.

Yesterday I was talking on the phone with my friend who's baby shower I was attending to see if I could spend some time with her before the shower,when Steve rushed into the house and annouced that the car was acting up. I was a bit worried since I was supposed to drive the thing to Utah, so we ran all over town yesterday trying to figure out what was going on. It turns out that our car, like most cars in the world, is wearing down. Our pistons aren't quite working the way they should, so we are in need of a full tune-up. The mechanic was telling me that it would cost us up to $400 for all of the repairs....OUCH! So I asked him if it would be okay to drive until we could get it fixed and he said it was fine. But all that worrying and trying to get it fixed took all of the time I thought I had yesterday, so I didn't get to my sister's house until after 10:00!! Not only was I late getting there, but once I did arrive I got lost trying to find her home! I could have sworn that I heard my sister tell me left instead of right....oh, well. (I also got lost going to my friend's house...I guess I'm just a bad direction follower!)
After the baby shower today I hurried to my sister's apartment and we got cleaned up and went to the temple. When I was driving into the valley last night it was the one landmark that I could tell what it was....it has a green light and it's just gorgeous! Anyway, we hurried over there and went through. That building is just amazing! I can't believe that it's one of the first ones that the pioneers built when they got settled in Utah. It's just beautiful!!
When we were done at the temple I said good-bye and told my sister and brother-in-law that I was off. I had hoped to fill the van with gas (just in case) and I'd talk to them next weekend. I found a fairly inexpensive gas station and pulled in to fill up. I went to my purse to see if I could find my debit card. I COULD NOT SEE IT ANYWHERE!! I figured that maybe I had left it in my pants the day before, so I checked my suitcase...no luck! So I looked through my purse again, making sure I checked all of the pockets and pouches...it wasn't there! So I thought that maybe I had left it at my sister's apartment by mistake. I quickly called them and asked them if they had seen it...they looked, but couldn't find it. My brother-in-law asked me where I had seen it last...I think he was trying to calm me down...I was getting a bit frustrated and upset thinking that maybe someone had stolen it. I said that the last time I had seen it was when I bought dinner for myself last night at home. So I called my husband to have him walk to the restaurant to see if I had left it there, but he didn't answer the phone. So my sister called me back and told me that she had the phone number for the place and gave it to me. I called them, and sure enough, I had left the darn thing there! I was relieved, but frustrated with myself at the same time. My sister and brother-in-law were nice enough to lend me some money to get me home and I was off. But a "quick" trip to get gas ended up lasting over a half hour! I felt so stupid! After the gas was filled I said good-bye to my sister and she went inside to get the receipt. I left as she was getting it. The cashier asked my sister if she knew that the vehicle she was paying for was leaving without her. She said she missed her chance to say, "Oh, no..." then run out of the building chasing after me, but instead she said that we had different vehicles.
The ride home was long and uneventful....thankfully! And now I'm ready to collapse into bed! I love visiting my sister and my friend, but there's just something about coming home!

6 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

Wow. It sounds like you had quite an eventful trip! Good luck with getting your van fixed. I'm glad that you were at least able to drive it safely down to Utah. That kinda reminds me of when I found out our car needed to get a bunch of work done like TWO days before we moved to Oregon...I was worried whether or not the car would make it. I'm glad you had fun at the shower... I love the pics. She looks like she's about ready to burst. When is she due?

That was a scary story about your debit card. I'm really glad you were able to find it. I still remember that sinking, sickening feeling I had when my purse was stolen a few years ago. You are a lucky lady!

Mall Worker said...

I felt that moment of panic for you! I hate that feeling when you can't find the money/credit/debit card in your purse which you knew was just there.

I'm glad you had a good trip!

Anonymous said...

Too bad about the van! Poor girl...when it rains...well you know the cliche! She has got to be due any minute now right! She was SO skinny in High school! I am glad the shower was fun! I was in Utah just a couple of days before....too bad I missed it!

Thank heavens for the honest people who returned your plastic money!

Anonymous said...

*poke* Thought I'd stop by and say Hi. I'm Cat, the person who threw Lynette's baby shower. There's a link to my LiveJournal attached. :) Nice pictures, by the way, from Saturday.

Blackeyedsue said...

Oh, next time you are in Utah, we should get all of the Utah bloggers together and do lunch. I LOVE Logan!!! We were married in that temple, I love going back. My cousin was baptized in the tabernacle right beneath it.

I am glad that you didn't lose your debit card permanently.

What an adventure!!!

Dawnyel said...

Just for my friend's info about Lynette...she is due the 29th of May (my hubby's birthday) and the doctor says she could deliver anytime now! The poor girl has been having so many problems with being pregnant that I think she's about ready to go!