Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Ball is Rolling....


Today I had my meeting with the place that will be providing an in school aide for Cam next fall. We went through his development and made a plan. I'm so relieved. They will be taking care of most of the paperwork....although I did sign my name to a lot of papers. He'll be getting other helps through this company too. They will help keep his school goals up to date and keep his learning going in a forward direction. It went well.
After I had the meeting I came home to a message from his current teacher letting me know that another little boy bit him on the chest today. He was okay...not bleeding or whining about it, but just so I knew where the small teeth marks came from. After I got the message I called his teacher to discuss what had happened. I was worried that Cam had caused the problem and that he probably deserved it. His teacher kept apologizing for it happening....he turned around for a second and saw that the other little boy had latched onto Cam and that's when he jumped in. Cam didn't do anything to deserve it...it just happened. Luckily Cam didn't freak out for too long and he was working fine without whining. Then his teacher started to update me on the summer school situation and I mentioned that I had my meeting this morning for his extra help in the fall and his teacher commended me on doing all of this for him. I told him that I was just getting what I want when I want it and if no one else was going to stand up for my son then I was going to do it. He then laughed and told me that he likes my attitude. I said thanks and then we chatted for a while and then we finished and he apologized again. I told him that he can't control what little kids do....it's not his fault! I LOVE his current teacher and I'm not really excited for him to get a new teacher next year, but I know that he needs to grow and move on. I just hope he gets the same support that he's been getting!

4 comments:

Blackeyedsue said...

I would love it if someone would develop child bubble wrap so that my kids never got hurt. I am so glad that things with your son and his schooling are working out. YOU are the only advocate for your child. You are so smart to be so ahead of the game.

Mama D said...

I remember how awful it was to go into a new class with a new teacher when my last teacher was so great. Sadly, I have had few teachers that I look back fondly upon. Good for you for taking control of the situation since, as you say no one else would do it. Which I find sad.

By the way, I would LOVE for you to edit "The Mama D Experiment". Just email me. And then I would have YOUR email address since it's not in your profile! Sheesh!

CareBearMommy said...

Good for you, Dawnyel! I totally agree with you about Cam's teacher. When we lived near you, Jasmine had him, too. He was totally awesome. That was her first year of preschool, and he helped the transition run as smoothly as possible. I agree with you that changing teachers is tough. Hopefully, you will be as lucky as I have been. Even though I have worried with each switch, all of Jasmine's teachers have been great...she's on her fourth one now. I wish you well in your endeavors to get him the help that he needs... you're a good mommy!

Anonymous said...

YAY for Cam...and YAY YAY for you! Just a little extra prodding, and you got what you want! Cam deserves it!

Isn't it so relieving when it isn't your kids that cause fights at school! I hate it when Matthew hits or pushes...even tho I know it is part of their learning process! I just hope Matthew learns fast!