Sunday, March 26, 2006

Spring Break is Finally Here

It's finally here. We've been planning and communicating with family for months now and the appointed day is just a few short days away! We're leaving on our first official family vacation! Cameron has been asking us daily if it's time to go on our trip and we have to patiently remind him that it will be very soon. We've got the family notified and we will be leaving this Wednesday, bright and squirly, going to Boise for a day, and then we'll be off to Moscow to see Steve's grandparents. We are hoping to catch up with most of his aunts and uncles in the Boise vicinity before heading off on our STINKIN' long drive to his grandparents' home. Last summer we went the same way for a family reunion and it's a gorgeous drive, but it's very windy and hilly. I'm not looking forward to the curves and turns (I get very motion sick!) but I am VERY excited for the trip. Yesterday we went to the store for a while to gather some last-minute items that we will be needing to keep our sanity cramped in our vehicle with a whiny child.
We were hoping that we would be able to catch a session at a temple along the way, but I don't think that we will be able to. Finding a babysitter shouldn't be hard, but finding the time might cause a problem. My only disappointment for this trip is that we will be missing most of General Conference. I always look forward to hearing the words of our church leaders and filling my reservoir with their words of encouragement and the lessons that they want to instill in us. We will be watching it after we get home, but it's not quite the same as hearing it the same time that thousands or even millions of members are hearing the same message!
This weekend for us was a relaxing and fun one. Along with the last-minute shopping we spent some time with my family and serving in church. Steve had to sing a solo today in sacrament meeting and it was gorgeous (like I knew it would be.) Then I went to Primary to do my weekly duty as the Primary chorister. I love going to Primary! I don't think that in the years since I have turned 18 that I have been in Relief Society more than a year. I've spent most of my adult life in Primary and I wouldn't have it any other way! How can you pass up the chance to teach those eager children the gospel? I find joy in their eagerness (or in the case of the older boys, their indifference) and love to sing the songs that bring my life peace and contentment! There are times when I feel overwhelmed, but knowing that these children were recently (more recent than I anyway) come from our Heavenly Father's presence just makes me in awe of their spirits. I love Primary!

8 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

I know what you mean by loving Primary. I feel the same way. Today, when my hubby came into Primary to hear Jasmine speak, he was amazed. When we spoke afterwords, he told me how awesome he thought Primary was, and that he really enjoyed visiting.

Good luck on your vacation. I know how excited you must be. I was the same way when we took our first official family vacation to Oregon about three years ago for my cousin's wedding. Family reunions are always fun, but I think it's even more special when you embark on your own little journey as a family.

CareBearMommy said...

By the way, you need to fix your primary link... it has two http's in it, so when I click on it, it takes me to some Microsoft page. Remove one of 'em, and then it will work properly.

Melzie said...

If by chance you get to do a session here, email me the time-- would love to meet you there. :)

Dawnyel said...

Sorry about the link problem...It's fixed now! Thanks Carebear!! :D

Rachelle said...

Cute family pic!

Anonymous said...

I sure am gonna miss your adorable avatar face on yahoo! I Am SOOOOOOOOOOO (so manny O's you can't imagine) jealous...you are going to my glory roads...my old stomping groundsm the place I fell in love, and got educated, and met a thousand FABULOUS life-long friends, and the true mother country of my youth! In case you hear muffled laughing in the back of the van.. that will be be tickling Matthew to keep him happy as we stow away! Don't worry about us!

CareBearMommy said...

By the way, as much as I love this picture of your family, it STILL looks to me as though you have a teeny leg and that you are sitting on Steve's back.

Diana Mancuso said...

Enjoy your first official family vacation! Hope you don't experience much motion sickness.