Friday, February 24, 2006

Friends in space?

I know I just keep going on and on about the memories I have with my friend, Carrie, but most of my memories come with her attatched (hence, the rubbaundiesluva.) Here's another one that shows we had very overactive imaginations and how strange we were growing up.
We were lucky enough to be able to be next door neighbors and therefore, we were able to be in the same schools growing up. We were thrilled when in the fourth grade we FINALLY were in the same class. I think that's when it all started. We'd go out to recess and stake our claim on the monkey bars. (One friend told us that his first memory of us was of Carrie shoving him out of her way going to the monkey bars .) Anyway, we'd climb up and sit on top of them instead of swinging our way across them. Then once we were on top we'd imagine that we were in outerspace. But to be "astronauts" we'd need a good education, and we'd imagine that we needed diplomas to be in space. Carrie came up with the idea of "storing" our diplomas in our hands. She had this fancy swishing and folding motion that she'd do with her hands to either pull out the diploma to show it off, or to store it back in her palm. I guess you could call it our old school palms. We'd sit on top for the whole recess pretending that we were seeing things going on from space and we'd comment on how everyone looked like ants. (I think we were actually looking at the ants.) Who knows exactly what we were doing? I just know that from that year I have very fond memories of bullying other kids out of their chance to play on the monkey bars. I know that if you were to ask Carrie, she would probably quote that very intelligent person I mentioned before by saying that looking down from space the duty aide's leg was shiny. (If you haven't picked up on my sarcasm when I write...the very intelligent person that I talk about is me.) She remembers all of my embarrassing moments. I guess that's what good ol' friends are for, right!

2 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

That is so funny. I had almost forgotten about "Mrs. Howell's Shiny Legs." For everyone else out there, Mrs. Howell was a duty-aid at our elementary school. She always wore large swooshy culottes with shiny skin-colored panty hose underneath them. I dunno if she was trying to set a fashion statement, or what. It really was rather stunning (ha!). Anyway, she is the only person we ever saw dressed like that, and she ALWAYS dressed like that. Be this a lesson to ye all.... people pay attention to what you wear!

Mattsmom said...

I only asked about the intelligent person... because in my blog.. I am the very inteligent person too! haha! I make up quotes on the spot! And it looks like you do too! haha!
And that IS funny about the space thing... I can totally imagine Carrie folding and swishing an imaginary diploma into her hand!