Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I'm SO Bad With Blogging

I feel shame, but not enough shame to really and truly change my ways.
I don't blog anymore. I just don't. It's not because my life has gotten any better, it hasn't. It's because Facebook is just easier to get that instant gratification.
So, in the spirit of actually writing a post, here's an update.
We have a new dog. Rusty wasn't working out. He kept tackling Jacob anytime that he went out the back door, and we were prisoners to the dog. He was also a biter. I could almost live with the holes he dug in the back yard, the constant jumping, and no grass, but the biting was the last straw. 
When we went camping, one of my aunts brought up her new puppies, Jugs. (Jack Russell Terriers and Pugs) They were SO cute, and not at all what I thought a pug-mix should have looked like. My aunt had gotten her puppies from my other aunt. The next time I saw my aunt I waltzed up to her and said, "Hey, I LOVE your Jugs." People who didn't know what I was talking about looked at me like I was nuts. 
Anyway, long story short, she gave us her last Jug puppy. She wanted to keep him, but had too many other dogs and her work wasn't helping either. He came named, however. His name is Fenton (after the dude who hates Fez on "That 70's Show.") He is lots of fun, and has the sweetest personality. He does get extremely hyper at times, but we all giggle when he chases his tail or runs in fast circles in the middle of the floor. The boys love him (almost too much) and he loves them. No matter what they do to him, he doesn't snap at them, or hurt them (unless he's playing...) 
Which leads me to my next update: Jake almost lost his right ear a few months ago. I was canning plum jam (from our AMAZING plum tree and at a good friend's house) and didn't pay attention to Jacob playing with Fenton. Fenton got a little rough, and scratched Jake's ear. I didn't think much of it, because Jake is quite dramatic, and he cries a lot. Soon I checked it though, and noticed his ear was sliding down. Thankfully, I got an appointment at our pediatrician's office and they glued and steri-stripped the boy's ear. He now has a slight bump, but is doing well. He's also more careful around the dog. 
Cameron turned 12 last month. It was a huge milestone. He became a deacon and passed the sacrament at church for the first time. He got a little turned around the first time, and looked to us for help. There really isn't any way we could have helped him, so a sweet priest, who was also blessing the sacrament, came down, and gently guided Cam around where he was supposed to go. I was an emotional mess. I truly felt that this is how Christ would have helped my son. He would have gently guided him and just loved him. I wanted to jump up and give that priest a hug, but as it was, I told him thank you after church. Cam has done marvelously since then. 
Cameron also has a PSR worker (Psychosocial Rehabilitation). His first PSR worker was nice, but didn't really do much good. She would take him to the office where he would play games with other kids, and really, that's not what he needed. So I had a talk with his counselor (he's new too....a whole lot of changes happened all at once...) and we decided that Cameron needed guidance in the mornings and evenings, when his medication is not in his system. So he got a new PSR worker (who is male) and he comes every other morning and helps Mr. Cameron with his morning routine. He can get Cameron to do things that he would NEVER do with me, which is great and a bummer at the same time. He is also a counselor, so he's got an arsenal of tools to help him. Cam is doing fantastic now. He's so grown up, mentally and physically. He's only 5 inches shorter than me!! 
Steve started college a few months back. He's doing an online program, and is very motivated to get good grades. As of right now, he's got a 99.16%. He's so proud of himself, and is enjoying it. (As I write, he's doing his assignment. I'm so proud of this man!) 
He and I did another class together: Love and Logic. I would love to tell you that I am a genius in this area, but really, I struggle. I love the techniques that actually give me words in specific situations, because I am NOT creative. Thankfully, I married a creative man. He is a better father and husband...and I attribute that to this class. I really need a refresher daily, but will settle with reading my book and looking online. My boys don't really know what to do with us when we use it on them. 
Finally, I have a new/old calling: I'm our ward's Primary Chorister. Yes, I've done this calling before, and yes, I can do it again. I just need to gear myself up for it again. I've lost a lot of the skills I had developed the last time I did it. I CAN do it though, and I will. 
We are truly grateful for this past year. We have been in our home for almost a year, and it's been wonderful. We are so blessed. 

2 comments:

Jewelle said...

Great to see a post from you :) That story about Cam passing the sacrament gave me goosebumps.

stevie kay said...

I, too, loved the story about Cameron and the sacrament. Glad things are going so well.