Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Therapy....Who's the One who REALLY Needs Therapy?

These last few months have been crazy when it comes to Cameron's out of school therapy. His speech therapy has pretty much stayed the same, but his occupational has gone *coo coo* crazy!!
A few months ago his OT who he's been with for 3+ years informed us that he was no longer taking pediatric patients, he was only going to be treating orthopedic patients. He gave us until the end of the month before he was going to stop seeing Cam. He also told us that he'd do some calling around town to find out who had openings so that we weren't completely on our own. I felt pretty sure we'd find someone who treated Cam as well as Aaron had, and didn't worry too much.
Well, the place Aaron searched out for us was the place I initially called and got him set up for therapies. When I first walked into the building I got the creepiest feeling. I did NOT feel comfortable at all. But I figured the unknown is always uncomfortable. But I soon found out that I should have trusted my gut.
The first therapist Cameron had was WONDERFUL! I had absolutely no problems with her whatsoever! NONE! She was attentive to his needs and made him feel welcome. She really tried to get in on his level and relate to him the way I'd seen Aaron handle him. I was pleased and decided that I would ignore that creepy feeling and continue with this place.
All was well for two weeks. TWO WEEKS! After those two weeks we found out that Jamie (his initial therapist) was no longer working because "she is going to have a baby." When the new therapist, Janet, came out and informed us that Jamie was gone and why, I made some smart-aleck remark about how she was probably miserably sick (under my breath). As soon as I said that Janet turned to me and SNARLED, "WHAT DID YOU SAY!?" I was taken back. Seriously why would you bark at someone like that? Do you not know how to deal with PEOPLE!?
After I overcame my momentary shock I said, "Um, I said that I thought because she's pregnant she's probably miserably sick with it." She just glowered at me! Then she almost instantly flipped to her sweet mode and took Cam to her room to do his therapy.
I was ready to grab him and say, "You THINK you can talk to me like that and then take off with MY child!?" But I was just shocked. Steve was with me and sat there equally shocked.
After we left he and I did some talking. We discovered that we were both creeped out by this place and didn't feel that it was where Cam should be. So I decided RIGHT then that the next time I saw my service coordinator I'd ask for a list of new occupational therapists. I wouldn't take him out of OT instantly, but would take him out once I found a replacement OT.
I told my little story about Janet to whoever would listen, and then told my service coordinator, who instantly told me she'd get me the list as soon as she could.
At her next visit she handed me the list and mentioned that there was a note on the board at her work that said there was a place with OT openings NOW! I asked her to get me the number as soon as she could. She did and I called that place the very next day. (This whole episode with my service coordinator all happened last week.)
After getting in touch with the new place I was told he'd be put on a waiting list for after school, but they were hiring a new therapist and she'd have openings soon. I was satisfied and waited to hear back.
That same day the creepy OT place left us a message (I was out running my nannies off doing errands...) and they informed us that their facility no longer was doing occupational therapy. They were calling to cancel therapy for Cameron permanently.
Can we say, 'RIGHT ON!!'?
The next day (yes, this happened VERY fast!) the new place called and said they had an opening on Monday for Cameron and he'd be paired with Jamie.
I wondered if Jamie was the same person and maybe she'd left the creepy place for the new place....but then I figured, there's LOTS of Jamies in the world.
Yesterday we went to the new place, I filled out the obligatory new patient paperwork and waited for the therapist. Who do you think walked in?? Jamie, the original new therapist he'd seen about a month ago. She was BRAND new at this place and she was the Jamie mentioned on the phone. Unfortunately, the person scheduling the new patients didn't realize that Jamie would be busy filling out the first day of work papers, so Cameron actually doesn't see her.
BUT....
We love this new place. The creepy feeling is LONG gone. Cameron is VERY happy with Lindsay and I'm pleased as well. I'm hoping this OT will last for a LONG time....well, longer than a month or two at the VERY least!
On a silly note, Cameron has been super funny lately. He told me yesterday (a no-school day around here) that he was tired of the weekend. I just laughed. Just wait until you get older buddy....just you wait!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well glad it seems the therapy is working out.

Mattsmom said...

I am so happy that you finally got him with a good therapist! I REALLY hope it sticks!

I am so surprised that a woman with so little respect for parents has any desire to work with kids. I wonder if she is the reason that Cam has been so difficult lately?

Anne/kq said...

That seems planned for you to see the right person! I bet Jamie left because she didn't like that place any more than you did. :)