Monday, November 19, 2007

Visiting Dr. H

Seriously I love my doctor, but MAN, is she EVER busy!!
Today I went for what was SUPPOSED to be a blood pressure check.....I didn't get back for an HOUR!! Plus, today I was babysitting, so I had to monitor every move that little J did (especially when there was a Christmas tree all decorated nicely in the lobby!)
Then back in the back, I was chasing that little boy ALL over the place....it was new, and he wanted to explore!!
The highlight of the visit?? Peeing into the cup! Yeah, anyone who's had to do this KNOWS what I'm talking about. Why do they make those darn things SO small?? And not only that, but I never knew that just being told I had to use the restroom could inspire SO much urine!! I filled that little cup nearly to the top!! (Yeah, more than you PROBABLY wanted to know!) Then I was asked to carry it to the exam room, while tagging along a curious little boy and his bag of fun. UH, I spilled....and THAT'S NOT pretty!! :P
Then when the nurse checked my blood pressure (which, of COURSE, had risen since I had been chasing little J all over....) it was HUGELY high!! The nurse was a little worried, but told me to lay back on the table and relax. Then she left me to "relax." Is it even POSSIBLE to relax when there's a one-year-old boy running around an enormous EMPTY room?? I tried laying back on the paper covered table, with pillow paper-covered as well, but everytime I did, the pillow would NEED to deflate!! This, in turn, caused a grin to cover little J's face, ear-to-ear!!
Soon (okay, so it was probably 20 minutes later) Dr. H came into the room and invited me to follow her to the ultrasound room. I was thinking to myself, "Do I NEED another ultrasound?" But apparently this is how Dr. H works! (My mom wonders if she likes to do ultrasound instead of finding the heartbeat with the little doppler-thingy...) She closed the door, neatly rounding up little J...who immediately proceeded to whine, and began the ultrasound.
Last week I could see the heartbeat SO easily, this week?? Uh....it was all blobs to me. Dr. H assured me that it looked just fine, but this time I noticed something else....the baby was spinning circles. Anytime she'd get ready to point out the heartbeat, the baby would spin!! It was CRAZY!! I hope this isn't a sign of things to come!!
All in all, I've learned a FEW things: If at all possible DO NOT take a curious child with you on routine visits. Peeing in a cup is a talent, but carrying the filled cup to the room is an art. And you will ALWAYS be surprised!! ALWAYS!! ;)

5 comments:

Elena said...

Oh man, she is one busy lady. I remember waiting and waiting for my turn. I appriciate that she doesn't feel the need to rush through your appointment, but it's not so fun when she's not rushing through everyone else's to get to you. But I love that she does so many ultrasounds. I just think that should be a regular part of the visit. Nothing is better than seeing that tiny little person inside you!!

One Scrappy Gal said...

When I was pregnant with my first, and my husband and I went to see her on the ultrasound (I was about... 6 months along maybe?), we saw what appeared to be her yanking on the cord, flipping upside down, right side up, yanking on the cord, and doing this over and over. We stared in shock, mouths hung open, not believing what we saw. I guess it makes sense because she's such a little joker now. The second baby always just laid there, kicking, and sucking his thumb. This one? It's upside down in the womb!! I'm thinking it's another joker...but I'll wait to see what it does in the ultrasound tmrw. :)

As for the pee...they have a little cabinet IN the bathroom. We write our names on the cup, load it up, then put it in the cabinet. No carrying it anywhere. I'm not exactly sure what they need my pee for either... unless it's to check for the presence of ketones...

Will you be finding out the gender or letting that be a surprise?

Suzanne said...

If your baby is already this hyper, what's going to happen once he/she is out and running around??? Kidding! :D I'm glad everything looked fine in the ultrasound! :)

Dawnyel said...

We're HOPING to find out what this little one is, but we've got QUITE a ways to go....*sigh*

CareBearMommy said...

I'm happy that things are looking good for you. I'm glad you're the one that has to pee in the cup, and not me! Keep up the good work!