Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I'm Naked

I was talking with Steve on Sunday, and showed him my wedding ring. All week, when I looked at my hand I noticed that my center diamond...the BIG one....was bent. I wasn't sure if it was just me, or what, so I asked Steve to take a look at it. He was furious! He told me that if I'd had questions about my ring I should have IMMEDIATELY taken it in. (We have a warranty on both of our rings, that covers most of the damage that happens to them...) I promised him that after my dentist appointment on Monday I'd take it in.
I got to the mall before most stores were even open. So I sat and waited for the gates to rise. (I waited in the children's play area, and my mouth was still numb. The little girls playing there kept staring at me while I tried, in my own way, to smile back.)
Anyway, they finally opened and I went in to show them my ring. The lady took one look at the diamond and said, "It's a good thing you brought this in now, if you had kept wearing it, the diamond might have fallen out." I asked her what could be done, and she told me that since my crown is gold (came with the ring...) and it was bent, that the only thing was to replace the crown with a stronger, longer-lasting metal. I sighed.
A few years ago, we took my ring in to get the prongs re-tipped. They looked at the big diamond, and said, "Re-tipping will do you no good...you should just buy a platinum crown." At THAT time the price was pretty good, but we didn't have the money for it. So we put it off. Now all of our procrastination was coming back! It was now necessary to replace the crown, or risk losing the diamond.
I asked her what I needed to do, and how long it would take, and she told me that they'd have to order the crown, and it would take a few weeks. I guess it's a good thing we just did our taxes, because part of them are going to have to go to getting my ring back from the jewelers! So, until right after Valentines' Day, my finger is naked. It feels SO weird. I've worn my ring, day and night, for SEVEN, going on EIGHT years!! It's weird to go in to take a shower, pull off my watch and glasses, then go for a non-existent ring!
I was hoping to wear Steve's old band until then, but we've misplaced it! I've been wracking my brain for the last several days, but I have no idea where I've put it! Oh, well. Life goes on!

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

Just look at it this way, you can say you need the new crown because you have a big diamond! Then you can feel lucky instead of feeling bad about spending the money for crown! ;)

I'm the same way with my ring. When I forget to put it on, I feel totally unnerved the entire time!

Lisa M. said...

Ah, I have felt the very same way before!

Good luck waiting.

I am on a search for new and fun blogs, this is my bread crumb comment. Hopefully if my sinister plan works, more people will be stopping by, to read your stuff!

I love it-

Lis

Millie said...

I hear you - I don't have my wedding ring on at the moment and it does feel weird. I switch back and forth between my fakey sparkly one and my real one, and sometimes I forget to put the real one on when I get home... like now...

Anonymous said...

I am naked to...in that finger..but not so much because I can't wear my ring. You know that commercial with the lady that looks like a lizard until she uses Jergains lotion (or whatever)...that is me right now! Since I am putting lotion on my hands about every hour I decided it was too much of a hassle to take it off that many times every day. It is currently in my bathroom...waiting for some humidity!

Are you still planning on using your tax return to pay for that awesome furniture? Or will you be taking another family vacation with it? Tax returns rock!

Melzie said...

awwww... well... play it single girly-- wooo the hubby, and have fun *giggle*

nikko said...

Yikes! Glad you caught in time. I'm thinking I need mine inspected, it's been almost 10 years!

CareBearMommy said...

WOO-WOO! If I hadn't talked to you on the phone about your ring before reading your blog entry, I would have raised my eyebrows for a moment, wondering why you're telling everyone you're in the nude! But I knew what you were talking about.

Platinum prongs ROCK! You will be so totally glad you had them put in... it'll give you a peace of mind. I haven't had ANY problems with mine, and they've been in for over seven years (after one of the regular prongs broke and my large diamond fell out).