Sunday, August 20, 2006

Squirrelly Ranch and Other Boring Facts From My Weekend

What a fun weekend! On Friday we went to my dad's company's party. We got there a little late since my dad had to fix the bed in the trailer before we could go, but we got there just as they were eating dinner. I remember thinking that last year the food at this place was very yummy, but I think I was just REALLY hungry (or very forgetful)...it wasn't so good! Their chicken tasted like fish (ick!) and the other stuff just made us thirsty! The instant we sat down to eat dinner a little kid of one of my dad's employees came up to Cam, tapped him on the shoulder and asked him if he remembered him. That was the last time I really saw the boy the whole time we were there. He was off with those kids the rest of the time!
I ended up eating S'mores (yes, I know they're not good for me, but it was only ONE!) I played card bingo, and won...a candy bar! (The max amount I could win, since I'm a child of a boss!) And colored many pictures. Okay, so I was bored out of my mind, but I did get in some good laughs and an EXCELLENT nap! They really didn't plan many activities like they have in years past, so it was more of a "do-what-you-want" kind of thing.
The funniest thing I saw was this scrawny little squirrel trying to carry a huge pine cone up a tree. It had the pine cone sticking out of it's mouth like a cigar. It was nearly as big as the squirrel was...I was just so shocked to see that visual that I had to stop and watch it for a while. I guess I'm easily amused! (Either that, or I really was bored!)
Part of the weekend was spent in pain. I don't know what I did, but my heel of my left foot was KILLING me! I could barely walk up and down stairs. Today it's been marvelous...not painful at all! YAY! I thought I may have had a bone spur, but I don't really know. I think I may have just pulled something and it took a little bit of time to heal.
Tomorrow is Cam's first day of kindergarten. He's excited, but nervous. I just hope that he does well. His aide can't start for another week, so I'm really hoping he'll be fine! *crossing my fingers* Tomorrow is only a trial day. They've set up 2 different hours where they'll evaluate the children, and then in the afternoon they'll consult with other teachers and try to make the classroom more balanced: even numbers of kids who are really prepared (can write their names, read...) with those who are not so prepared (like my Cam!) I'm really, really hoping for morning! *crossing my toes* He is a complete MORNING person. We sometimes joke that we don't know where he came from, since BOTH my hubby and I are night owls. He's one of those kids who's tired when the sun goes down, and awake when it comes up. It didn't even matter that we had covered his windows with aluminum foil to keep the light out...he was up when the sun was. He's ALWAYS been that way, and I'm sure he will continue to be that way...at least until those teen-age years hit! He's always done much better in the mornings, and always been grouchier in the afternoons. So we'll find out his permanent schedule tomorrow afternoon! Here's hoping! *crossing eyes*
I called and scheduled our family portrait for next month. And after talking with the receptionist I found that our gift certificate is really only worth about $75. She told me that if we want that date we have to put half of the price down to secure it...which will be another $75. I'm still excited about it...that's going to be our family's Christmas this year...so it will be worth it! I'm so ready for a new hair cut and a cute family picture! Can you feel the excitement in my life!? :)

5 comments:

Kim said...

Sounds like your weekend was packed. The photographers website was awesome. I can't wait to get for you to get your pics taken. I can't believe Cam's in kindergarten this year. I am beginning to feel old-er. Sorry the whole getting together didn't work out this weekend. I'll figure out the next time I'll be home and we'll have to plan something special.

Kristine said...

Hey, my kindergartner started today too! Are you shedding any tears? I am really excited for my guy. The weekend party sounded a little...well, boring. Sorry it wasn't more fun for you...but I am glad you got to relax!

Melzie said...

boring times can be fun too! :) Can't wait to find out what today was like for Cam! I bet you are more nervous than he is. :)

CareBearMommy said...

I sure hope Cam's first day of Kindergarten goes well. Jasmine doesn't start hers until September 6th! ANYhoo... I'll keep my fingers crossed that Cam will be able to get a morning slot for him. (That is sooo weird that you weren't able to find out sooner than today. I found out for Jazz in the middle of June!)

And I don't know about you, but it sure as heck makes me feel old to have a child in Kindergarten this year. I remember when WE were that old.

BTW... good luck with the pics. That's too bad that the g-cert didn't cover the whole fee. Then again, that's what Christmas time is for, right? (Gives you an excuse to spend money on yourselves where you ordinarily wouldn't.) I hope you get digital copies as well so you can share them with those who don't live so close by.

Mall Worker said...

Sounds like it was a busy weekend! I hope Cam's first day of kindergarten goes well! I hope the pictures turn out fantastic!