Monday, June 19, 2006

My Life Monday....according to Dawnyel

This week's installment will be a bit different for me! Instead of doing the normal assignment, I'm going to revamp it according to my own needs. So today, will be a tribute to my husband AND all of the other fathers in my life, along with a fun update of my weekend. For those of you who aren't my frequent readers, please excuse my rambling.
This is my husband and my son. Okay, so my picture turned out VERY washed out, but it's SO cute! I couldn't resist posting it! Steve is a wonderful daddy to Cameron. He's always helping him learn new things and the proper way to behave. There are days when the two of them will be on the same wave length and they'll torture me with tickles and that sort of thing, but I try to let it go as their male bonding time.
Steve LOVES the theater and has just recently tried out for our area's fall musical, Oliver. He's anxiously awaiting the assigning of the parts. I don't really enjoy it when he does these plays. I NEVER see the guy, but it makes him happy. And as long as he limits himself to one play a year, I'm okay with him pursuing his passion!
Steve and Cameron are A LOT alike. They have the same facial features and general look to them. They pull the same faces when they're being mischievous. My first reaction to seeing Cameron for the first time was, "He looks like Steve!" So now we call Cam, Mini-me! I love both of my guys SO MUCH! And I'm glad I managed to find a good daddy for Cam!
This is my dad! He is only 20 years older than me, so people have a hard time believing that he's my dad. When I was younger we didn't get along so well. We both have a stubborn streak that is HUGE! My favorite thing to do was to see how far I could push my dad without getting into trouble...hence, I got in trouble a lot!
He's such a funny guy! His sense of humor is one that if you don't pay attention, you may miss it! A few weeks ago my younger brother asked my dad where the best place to shoot a gun was. (He and a friend were going to shoot targets.) And my dad, without missing a beat, replied, "Outside!" See, it's there, but you have to wait for it. Most people who know him, don't know he's that funny...he usually saves it for people he knows really well!
He is an avid hunter and fisherman, but he can't do those things as often as he'd like, because he owns his own carpentry shop. He works really hard to keep it going so he can support his family.
He's always teaching me things. Yesterday he was teaching me the finer points of NASCAR! He's a great teacher!
He is also THE AWESOMEST grandpa EVER! Cameron will do ANYTHING for him. If we go to an event where quiet is required, if Cam sits with grandpa, he's as quiet as anything. If grandpa tells him to do something, even if he's been told repeatedly by someone else, he'll do it. I don't know what it is about grandpa, but he is the MAN!! I love my dad, even if I'm a brat sometimes!
This is my dad's dad...MY grandpa H! He has gone through SO much in his life. He, too, is young. For as long as I've known him, he's had a full beard. I've been told that when I was younger, he shaved it off. I was so used to it, that I didn't recognize him, and ever since he's had the beard.
He's a father of 8 children, and he worries over their happiness CONSTANTLY! He cares and he shows it any time we talk to him.
My grandpa has instilled in his kids the same loves that he has. He loved to hunt and fish. He still does those things, but not like he used to!
He's showed me the power that the gospel can have in someone's life. He was an alcoholic for years and years. Then, before my grandma died, he stopped drinking and has been faithful for years. He has a form of macular degeneration called star garts, so basically, he's blind. He just celebrated his 3rd anniversary with his wife, and is a very happy man, for the most part. He's got this laugh that just makes me smile. It's huge, bubbly, and warm! He's a great man and I love him a lot!

This is my mom's dad...my grandpa F. He's starting to show his age a bit. He's the stereo-typical grandpa: round, bald/gray, and constantly forgetting what he's talking about. He'll start telling us a story, that he just finished telling. When he does this it makes us giggle! He's the father of 12 kids. He loves to tell people stories about his family, or when he was growing up. He's FULL of really interesting tidbits and stories! My grandpa F is an avid journal keeper. He's got years and years of journals piled up. I love to just sit and listen to his stories, they are so fun (and often entertaining!)
I love my grandpa F...he's a real family man. For years and years he worked TWO jobs to support all of those kids he had! Now he's retired and keeps a perfect lawn. Recently he's started to have health problems, so he's cut back his yard work. Fortunately he has grandchildren who look out for him now!
************************
Now for the update of MY weekend! We had so much fun with my tie-cutting idea! The kids LOVED it! The whole thing just got them more wild than usual, but they sang! YES!! One teacher commented to me that we should do that ALL the time. It's the best her class has sung ALL year long! The tie now lies at the bottom of the trash barrel in the primary room, although some kids wanted me to give it back to the teacher to save, since it was his favorite tie! I loved it! We sang Daddy's Homecoming and the Dearest Names for sacrament meeting and they sounded good, but they didn't do all of the actions...oh, well! At least they sang!
My poor hubby had to work a LOT this weekend. They've given him graveyard shifts on the weekends, so he hasn't been to church for a month! He really misses it and I wish he could get it fixed so that he could come more often.
One of my friends had a REALLY good weekend this week. She's been having a lot of problems, but FINALLY this weekend they were resolved! I'm so happy for her! Things are finally turning around to where she can handle them! I'm so happy for her. She was so happy, that she called me last night before she went to bed and told me all of the details! YAY!! I love it when my friends are happy!

6 comments:

Mama D said...

Coming from someone who doesn't have a whole lot of positive male models in her life (except my husband of course!) I think both you and Cam are very lucky. I am happy for you both! Those guys all seem terrific!

Anonymous said...

There is nothing better than a good father in a womans life! You are so blessed to have so many great father models in your life!
I too hope that Steve can get back into a regular old routine again and not have to work so many graveyard shifts!

CareBearMommy said...

You have some pretty neat men in your life. You are lucky. What a nice little tribute to them.

I'm glad that things went well in Primary. Keep up the good work, you awesome chorister lady, you!

Mall Worker said...

That was a very sweet story! I'm glad that you had so many positive male role models in your life, and for Cam too :)

Anonymous said...

What a great tribute! I am loving going around reading all of these tributes to daddies. Makes me realize I need to do one for the awesome men in my life! =)

Rachelle said...

What a great tribute to all the men in your life!