Friday, April 21, 2006

Crazy Mother on the Loose

I just realized today that I'm NOT ready for my son to grow up! (For those of you with children over 5...you're probably thinking I'm INSANE for thinking this, but it's true!) When I was younger I lived in a very nice neighborhood...there were tons of kids running around and we pretty much knew everyone who lived around us. My parent's would let us roam the neighborhood and didn't really worry too much, I think. Well, tonight the rowdy neighbor kids came over and asked if Cam could come out and play with them. My first reaction was to scream out "NO WAY!!" and slam the door in their faces, but I held back and told them that I was making dinner and he was going to have to eat soon. Cam then looked up at me with those bright blue eyes as if to say, "Please, mom, you never let me do anything." I'm such a softy...I told the kids to wait for him to put on his shoes and he'd be out for a little while. Cam was so thrilled with that idea that he hurried and had his shoes on and was out the door before I could say, boo!
I cannot convey to you the feeling of panic that overcame me. If I could have I would have shrunk myself down to teeny size and stood outside to keep an eye on him the ENTIRE time while trying not to embarrass the kid, but since I don't have access to that machine I stayed inside making dinner. I stood next to the window the whole time. If I didn't see his body or the kids he was with, my heart would palpitate and I would get light-headed. I was SO worried about him that I almost burned dinner! Our neighborhood is not the same kind of place that I grew up in...it's freakin' scary!! One of my friends who lived here told me once that she looked up the registered sex offenders in our area and noticed that our neighborhood was almost all red with the dots marking where they live. Ever since then I've tried to stay inside of our home and keep the doors locked tight. It's a rare day when our street isn't mentioned in the police log for drugs, domestic violence, or something like that. Even without knowing that this is the breeding ground for those scumbags, I'm a worrier. My husband will be late coming home from work and I'll imagine him in a horrible car accident, dying in the hospital, or losing his memory and not knowing where he lives. I know it's bad, but I can't control these thoughts. So here I am...literally pacing my small kitchen praying that dinner will cook quickly so that I will have an excuse to call Cam in for the night. Every car or truck that passed was, in my mind, a potential murderer or kidnapper. When dinner was finally finished I was relieved to call him back into the safety of our home. He was so mad at me for calling him in, but I knew it would pass. So, during dinner we had one of my famous conversations. During the time he was outside, I realized that I'm way too paranoid and I need to let the kid grow, play, and learn things for himself. So our conversation consisted of the new rules that he must obey if he wants to go outside ever again. As I was getting on in my speech the poor kid covered his ears and said, "I don't wanna talk to you, no more!" I threatened him that if he didn't listen to me then I wouldn't let him leave our house ever again. He, naturally, threw a fit, then he calmed down and listened to the rants of his insane mother.
Am I alone in this crazy paranoia? Please give me hope that I can get through this time in his life. I think this crazy side of me coming out is a HUGE sign that it's time for another child...which I know all too well. Other than getting that other child we've been wanting what can I do?? HELP ME!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...I do not know what to say...because I am EXACTLY the same way...and we don't live in the same type of area. Yesterday I was sweeping the front porch when Matthew ran off to play with the neighbor kids...it was nearly the first time his two year old body was out of my site while outside! I am a paranoid mom too! Then yesterday when I talked myself out of calling him back to me...or gong to get him and bring him back to our yard... I saw him run from the other neighbors house! Holy crap...two houses away...my baby! He has NEVER been so far away from me while outside with no other adult supervision! I got over it...but that tiny experience made it so I can relate on a small scale now! It is way too hard to let them go...I think especially the first because you have never had to do it before (but what do I know? I only have one). Our neighbor lets her kids play outside alone every day! even the 19 month old boy! I most definitely do NOT have the mental ability to do that!
You are NORMAL! I hope...if not then I am abnormal too...and that is not the most plesant thought!haha

Anonymous said...

Oops...I made several spelling errors!

Anonymous said...

maybe I ought to proof read my comments next time!

Anonymous said...

Are you getting to feel popular yet! So many comments...so little said!

Anonymous said...

Now you will REALLY have a huge number to tell the hubby about!

Anonymous said...

A really really BIG number of comments!

Anonymous said...

Okay...now I am starting to annoy myself!

Anonymous said...

This is the last one...I swear!

Blackeyedsue said...

I don't think it ever changes. My heart still skips a beat whenever Millie heads out the door without me. I think it is our instinct and our right to protect them. Heavenly Father gave us that protective instinct for a reason. I am still CRAZY protective about who she hangs out with and where I will let her go. (You know, meeting the parents before a b-day party, scoping the house out, checking the offender registry, etc) For the most part I solve this by making her friends play over here. We are in the process of putting up a 6-foot, fully private, locks-from-the-inside fence so I can let them play outside without having to hover.

To be honest, I would be worried about you if you didn't go nuts when you couldn't see Cam for two seconds. I have had neighbors that have let their two-year-olds run free. Where is their accountability and responsibilty and love towards these precious souls. I won't even let my 5 1/2 year-old walk six houses away to her best friends house unless I can see her friends mom on her front porch watching too. I don't think I could ever forgive myself if something happened to one of my babies and I hadn't done everything in my power to protect them in the first place.

I think one of the best things for you to do for your own peace of mind is to teach Cam stranger danger and awareness. I don't think it is EVER too early to teach them about boundaries and what their rights about everything. Mil can spout off all about her rights about her body and I have her so paranoid that she won't take candy from ANY kids at school. We discuss stranger awareness at school and what to do if she ever gets lost (look for a grandma or mother with children)
I am sorry for the novel, but don't you EVER be sorry for being protective!!!! You can never be too careful, especially in this day and age!!! I think you are FABULOUSLY normal!!! You should e-mail me.

Keep us posted on everything!

CareBearMommy said...

I know exactly how you feel. Oftentimes, I feel way too overprotective of Jasmine. I look back at when we were young, and ask myself, "What were our parents thinking?!" I remebmer running free in the neighborhood with you and a bunch of other kids, and our parents probably had no idea where we were. The idea that this day in age, everything seems much more dangerous, is sad, but true. It seems that parents now have to be so much more careful with what they let their children do, for fear that they might get hurt by someone. I fear the day when Jasmine goes off on her first play date, and at the same time, I look forward to it. I realize that, as she is around kids more and more, her socialization skills will improve. Plus, after the first few dozen times or so, I may just be able to relax.

By the way, one thing that I HIGHLY recommend is the Safety Kids... you get several different workbooks with musical CD's that go with them. It teaches kids about strangers, among many other things. Jasmine loves it (we gave it to her for her 5th birthday).

Blackeyedsue said...

LOVE the Saftey Kids. My kids know most of the songs by heart, hence the "grandma or mother with children". I remember listening to them as a kid. Expensive, but worth every penny.
www.britemusic.com

Mall Worker said...

You're not alone! I truly dread the day that when my little guy wants to go out to play with his friends. You acted just like I would have!

Rachelle said...

I'm scared of the day when Cam wants to play outside alone. I will be checking constantly. This world is just too scary to be any other way!