Monday, July 07, 2008

Circle of Life

This past weekend was quite a busy one for my family. It all started on Thursday when we realized that my Grandma F was WAY worse than anyone thought so soon. My mom called all of her siblings and encouraged them to come here to say goodbye as quickly as possible. Several left immediately and drove through the night to be here.
On Friday things started going even faster. My poor Grandpa F, who has severe short-term memory loss, couldn't understand why there was a hospital bed in his living room, or why all of his kids had come to visit when he hadn't planned on them coming. He also said over and over that he didn't know Grandma was SO sick.
Saturday morning I got a phone call from my mom. The hospice nurse had come in to check on Grandma and said that she was "actively dying." My mom said she wasn't planning on leaving and wanted me to call my sister and let her know what was going on. All throughout Saturday we got phone call after phone call that Grandma wouldn't last an hour, so we crowded into her tiny home so that we could be with her. My aunts and uncles started singing some of Grandma's favorite church hymns and almost instantly her dropping stats would rise.
We went through the cycle over and over. Tears, saying how much we love Grandma, singing, dispersing, laughing, telling stories, tears.
That night we stayed until late. Steve and I have been planning to bless Jacob in church and decided that no matter what we would follow through with the plan. The only change was the after-blessing luncheon was moved to Grandma's backyard.
Sunday morning we got things ready and went to church. All of us that went (which, with the number of extra aunts and uncles in town was quite a large number) took our cell phones with us....set on vibrate, of course.
Steve gave Jacob a beautiful blessing, and even got our nephew Jayden blessed. We had the sacrament and we'd started in on testimony meeting. I knew that things may move quickly, so I quickly got up and bore my simple testimony. Soon after sitting down, my brothers, mom and dad got up and left, whispering to other family members what was going on. My sister came over and told us that Grandma had breathed her last breath. Half of the congregation got up and walked out. (Anyone who was in my ward and saw our mass exodus, I hope you weren't offended....)
Steve and I hurried to Grandma's house where all of the male relatives were outside crying. Grandma had died around the time we had blessed Jake.
I was told that the women were dressing Grandma, and I was told I could go inside.
I'll never forget the look of loss on my poor Grandpa's face. He knew, absolutely, that his beloved Mona 'Dean was gone and he looked like he would be lost.
We dressed Grandma in her pretty pink dress and the younger granddaughters placed beautiful roses around Grandma.
It was a busy, sad, peaceful day. But I am truly grateful that I know that my Grandma's spirit is still alive and that she is now where my sweet Jacob dreams of.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawnyel, I am so sorry. Death is never easy...especially when it is so sudden. I am so glad you have a testimony of the gospel and knowledge of the eternal plan to help you thru this time. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I pray your family can receive comfort at this hard time.

Deanna said...

I didn't see your 'mass exodus', but when I came back into the chapel and realized you were ALL gone, I wondered if everything was okay.

Aren't we blessed to know of life after death? I hope that you will have a peaceful feeling in your hearts...Our prayers are with you!

P.S. Jacob looked so adorable on Sunday!

stevie kay said...

I had kind of wondered what was going on because when everyone left they looked really concerned - not your usual visitors-leaving- sacrament-to-get-somewhere-else- look. I'm so sorry for your loss Dawnyel. I know you loved your grandmother dearly and I hope you are able to cope and have a lot of support in the next little while. We're rooting for ya!
XOXO
Stevie

AimeeTheSuperMom said...

There is nothing more amazing than the Plan of Salvation, and the knowledge that we will be made perfect and be together again. What a gift to have a sweet baby blessed and welcomed into the world just as another special person is being ushered into the next life of Paradise.

Elena said...

I had heard from Wendy Sat. night that she was doing poorly. We had a baby blessing to attend so I didn't get to see the mass exit, but my mom told me about it. I'm so sorry too, but grateful she didn't have to suffer any longer. Your family pictures of Jacob's blessing are darling. I'll probably see you tomorrow night at the viewing.

Mary C. said...

I'm so sorry Dawnyel. When Doug got the call to come to the house we didn't recognize the last name...I didn't realize until after he called me that it was your grandma. I'm so so sorry for you and your family. Doug felt so bad for everyone and said what a sweet wonderful family she had. You're in our prayers.

The Cook Clan said...

Oh I'm so sorry for the loss. It made me cry just reading it. What a bitter sweet day it must have been for your family. You are in our prayers. Just think what a better place she is in and no long in pain.

Jewelle said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. I couldn't figure why the mass exodus happened, but it all makes sense now. Jacob's blessing was wonderful. I only got to listen since I was nursing Allie, but I am sure he looked cute too.
~Jewelle

Sketchy said...

I can't help but think that the timing of your Grandmother's passing and the blessing of your sweet baby isn't coincidental.

Here you have your long awaited and prayed for child. Who must have been waiting in eager anticipation for his time to come and join your family to arrive. Eager to join his eternal family here on Earth.

And then your beautiful Grandmother, who lived and struggled and in her way was waiting in hopeful anticipation for her time to join her eternal family in the next life.

I can't quite express it fully, but I know it's there.

Anne/kq said...

I am sorry for your loss, but glad that she passed peacefully and surrounded by love.

Lana said...

sorry, I know you will miss her.

BTW, I love the picture of you with your guys, it's beautiful :)