Sunday, February 12, 2006

What a weekend!!

I didn't think my life would be this busy! It all started on Friday when I went to a wedding of a family friend. I went to the ceremony and then afterward I had to hurry home so that I could go to a doctor's appointment that I had to discuss my Insulin Resistance. Before I went there though I found out that we had gotten our tax refund and was very anxious to spend it. So I went out a splurged a bit. I had talked to my mom about going to this particular doc, and she said that there have been times when she goes there and has to wait for 4 and a half hours. I wasn't really thrilled about that concept, so I grabbed a book and headed out. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was ushered in quite quickly and the doctor was there within minutes. He discussed some solutions and has put me on a strict diet and exercise plan along with a medication that should help me overcome this part of my existence. (So far I've been an absolute flop on sticking to it...)
Then I went home and hurried with my boys to go car shopping. We have been looking at mini-vans for several days now and decided to try a few more places before giving up on the whole thing and buying one that we love, but may be more money than we could afford. So with Cameron and the little girl I babysit strapped in the car we headed out. We tried one place and found that the van was worthless...at least in our eyes, but they were willing to give us more for our trade-in. We hesitated, but decided to try a few more places. We went just down the street and found the van we've been searching for. We love it. It's not as nice as the first one that was expensive, but it's decent and within our price range. So armed with the papers we signed over our lives for the next 27 months and bought a mini-van.
Then we hurried home to drop our little charge off with her dad so that we could go do a bit of shopping before running off to 2 wedding receptions. We had to take my brothers with us, so we grabbed them and hurried off. Now, before I get too far into my story, I should explain what kind of brothers I have. I am the oldest child of 6 and I was lucky enough to be blessed with 4 brothers. Growing up with brothers was not fun to say the least, but I survived...barely. As we've gotten older, my brothers have seemed to shoot up way past where I stopped. They are all taller than me by a long way and they all have my strange sense of humor. Well, we rushed off to both receptions and then afterward decided that we were hungry and needed to eat. So being lazy we went through the drive-thru at Burger King (for my son) and Taco Bell for the adults. While going through Burger King's drive-thru my 23-year-old brother told us to ask the lady if they had any "King Kong burgers." He was referring to the one they have on the commercial that is bigger than the lady's head. Well, the people got a bit annoyed and hurried us to the window to pay. When we got there they asked us if we wanted any sauces to which my hyped-up brothers all shouted at once the type of sauces they wanted. At this time my husband got annoyed with the whole thing and quickly ordered crowns "for the kids in the back seat." The lady working the window speedily grabbed us 5 crowns and we drove off laughing!
That excursion to Burger King was NOTHING compared to what they did to us at Taco Bell. My 19-year-old brother works across the street from this particular Taco Bell and thought that he knew the guy running the drive-thru and instantly began yelling...."HEY CHRIS!!" To which the annoyed guy replied, "Please don't yell at me." We ordered and then my 16-year-old brother in the way back started yelling one of his favorite lines from The Family Guy, "I want 10,000 chicken fa-ji-ta's!" My husband started to whine that he didn't want to be kicked out of Taco Bell for life to which my 23-year-old brother said, "That's okay, there's another one just down the street!" At this point of the night I was so tired that I was laughing at everything!
The next morning I had a funeral to go to for my Great-Uncle where my dad was giving the life sketch that he had wanted me to type up for him. I spent most of the night before trying to figure it all out and set up our new printer, to which we were missing several pieces. After the funeral we came back and I waited for my husband to get off work and then we went and spent more of our tax money. Then I had to hurry home so that I could make phone calls to remind people of our church choir practice the next day.
Today we went to church and found out that instead of singing with the choir next week, we have to wait until the week after (which I was previously asked to form a women's trio to sing that week...but we haven't practiced, so we're gonna put that off.) Then we cam home for a quick minute and then I hurried to my mom's house because one of my uncle's was in town and wanted to have a get-together with the family who lives around here. We had so much fun tonight. In fact, I don't think I need to do my exercise for the next week because I laughed so hard my belly hurts!! I love hanging out with my cousins, they remind me of myself and the kind of person that I am. We're planning another get-together this weekend and I can't wait! I feel worn out, but happy.
While at the funeral on Saturday I was thinking about the kinds of things that people will say about me when I'm not here and I hope I've been a happy influence and lived my life instead of just letting life pass me by. I was even thinking about the way that my husband and I met and what a funny story that was, but I will save that for another time. The ride just doesn't stop! What a fun time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHAT A WEEKEND is true!
Man... you never sit still!
just so you know... the comment I made about old friends was referring to the period in which we were first friends... and not our ages! DUH! haha
Congrats! on your van! that will be a fun purchase for you! our vehicle loan was a 60 month loan...and I wish it were more like 27! Oh well!
Good luck with you diet and excercise progrom...I will be watching you! haha...and hoping that all of your hard work will pay off with a healthy pregnancy sooner than later!
Mattsmom